Buying at shows vs. the internet

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by manny9655, Feb 20, 2022.

1. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I purchase coins both at the local once-a-month shows and over the internet. Usually my internet purchases are $1 or $2 face value of junk silver. But lately, I've been curtailing my internet purchases. Why? Because the shipping costs have become ridiculous. Why should I spend $7 or $8 (or more) on shipping a small amount of coins when I can buy the same coins at shows and not pay shipping? (I can buy another pretty decent coin for that shipping cost!) Usually at shows I will spend between $50 and $100, maybe a little more if I see something I really want. Besides, I'd rather support the more local dealers who are just trying to make a living over some of the mega dealers on the 'net. What say you, CoinTalk members? Are you buying less on the internet because of shipping costs? And BTW, the attendance at shows in my area has been very good. At the last show I attended, earlier this month, the parking lot at the venue was JAMMED. I think that bodes well. And I saw some young people there, too.

capthank, Oldhoopster, Mr.Q and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, if you're buying small amounts (low 2-digits) at a time, shipping is going to kill either you or the seller. When you buy or sell larger amounts at a time, you can do better online -- but I still try to do most of my junk-silver selling to dealers at local shows.

MIGuy, GH#75 and manny9655 like this.
  4. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

I have cut my online purchases way down. I would much rather see and hold the coin before I buy it. Also you develope a relationship with certain dealers which helps in future purchases.

5. manny9655

True, and that's another good reason to buy at shows.

6. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

One BIG advantage of shows is examining/evaluating in person, in your hand, etc...nothing like it even compared with good photos. On shipping, there is plenty of "free" shipping sellers available for just about anything I buy...understand "free" isn't really free in many cases, but easier to take than a separate, often ridiculous ship fee. If more sellers knew how much free shipping meant to buyers, think more would offer "free shipping." The worst are the sellers with shipping costs that are different for the same or smaller items...free for one and $8 for the same other...or free for a silver dollar but $7 for a penny, etc...!!! Just takes a little patience and effort to find what you're looking for from a reputable "free shipping" seller. I won't buy unless "free" or a nom. fee...maybe $3 or so...and rarely at that.

Southernman189 and manny9655 like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Internet is good when you are looking for a very specific coin not found at coin shows. In person you get to see the coin and maybe haggle the price down or get a multiple coins buy discount. I always ask for a discount if I but 3+ coins and I usually get a discount.

8. rte

rte Well-Known Member

A bird in the hand is a real plus if you looking for a quality coin.
    90% or scrap is best bought in quantity with the shipping costs figured in the final price.

You would be better off buying twice as much half as often...but you already did the math right.

terky and manny9655 like this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Pretty much exclusively online now. A very significant amount of material ended up in online auctions the last couple years and a lot of people figured out they can easily sell there. I've also seen more than enough stuff from auctions end up in dealer cases at obviously a higher price than the auction

wxcoin likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I have to assume you are speaking about dealers here, as I normally don't buy even one a coin a month and certainly don't have access to "local shows," so buying from the internet is my only choice.
    I do agree on buying local and supporting your local dealers and I try to do that with most things I purchase. I also must assume you don't get charged sales tax, which can make a difference.

Kentucky and MIGuy like this.
  11. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I love shows, but they are really scarce in my neck of the woods, and often their inventory isn't great.

tibor likes this.
  12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Between shows and Internet, I'll take the show every time. The trouble is the large shows are often the only ones that have anything for me. I loved the Winter FUN show this year.

You can combine the two. I have used sites like "Collectors Corner" to find coins at a show. You would be surprised at the number of dealers who are on the Internet and have a booth at the major shows.

The way I look at shipping charges is that it's a wash between travel costs and paying the shipping. The show is obviously more expensive, but it's more fun.

manny9655 likes this.
  13. James2000_L

James2000_L New Member

Most show dealers don't offer a "return policy", or they charge a re-stocking fee. Other than that at a show is always better to examine the coin in person and compare other one's side by side.

manny9655 likes this.
  14. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I guess much of it boils down to what you are looking and how much money you are planning on spending. I personally don't know you but from the posts that you have made on CT you are a big player (at least relative to me) in the coin world and probably have established relationships over the years with many national dealers. So I can totally understand your perspective regarding coin shows; as both a buyer and enjoying interactions with friends.

For me, there are very few shows near me and my pockets aren't very deep. So I tend to look for middle of the road mint state coins for my collection. Unfortunately, at small local shows, new material is not the norm.

15. manny9655

For me the travel costs to the local shows are minimal. Usually a 20 minute drive. So it's really a no brainer. How much gas am I going to use? Maybe a little more than a gallon round trip?

16. terky

terky Active Member

The FUN shows in Orlando are simply the best, especially if you want to sell some coins. Cash and walk.

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Bravo. I always go the the ma and pa hardware etc.. plus I like to gab. Local that is

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  18. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I prefer local shows, hands on is always best. I recently bought a 1927-S quarter from Flea-bay I looked the pictures over as best I could and description seemed with in order for the grade. When I got the quarter I saw a plastic type coating on the back that didn't show on the picture. I tried the ACETONE soak everyone on here raved about and it worked. I think my on-line buys will be cut way back now. If I can't find what I want at the local shows THEN I'll try Flea-bay again.

johnmilton likes this.
  19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I too have slowed my purchases online. I do buy locally from a trusted dealer and numismatist. Unfortunately, there are no clubs in our community and very few shows in Idaho.

20. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

And don't forget sales tax, for California buyers that can be over 10%. At our coin shows it's tax free if you pay in cash

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That just means the dealers are commuting tax fraud and its only a matter of time until tax stings start happening

Draft saved Draft deleted