Buy the coin, not the holder . . .

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

lol.......I almost blew my cocktail through my nose. I agree. Funny how this works, isn't it?:D

Cherd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

This Krugerrand seems to have similar cloudy characteristics and it was stored in a small cardboard mail square box for decades in a humid environment. 20230428_214821.jpg 20230428_214921.jpg

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Sorry, but I'm not buying that . . . the change in appearance between Stars 8 & 9 and around stars 12 & 13 is far too abrupt for that to be an acceptable explanation. Those two less carefully conserved areas revealed the nature of what took place in other more carefully conserved areas of the coin.

I'm not saying this coin is necessarily unworthy of a lower mint state grade, but to elevate such a coin to MS67 grade is completely inappropriate.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Luster was rubbed off it. Just the way it lays you can see it.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am guessing that you have it in hand Toughcoins.
    I agree a coin at MS67 should have the fine frosty luster uninterrupted across the fields, not just around the protected areas of the devices.

I am not a gold guy. How does die wear affect the luster on these coins?

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Die wear decreases straight-on mirror reflectivity, and increases the swirling cartwheel luster produced by flowing planchet metal furrowing the surfaces of the dies. As those furrowed grooves in the dies deepen, the height of the corresponding ridges struck on the surfaces of the coin increase, so the reflective surface area of the coin increases, as does the resultant cartwheel luster.

Cleaning the coin lops a little off the top of those ridges, and reduces the reflective surface area slightly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  8. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I appreciate the way you succinctly explained how and why later die states have more luster than early die states.

I’ve occasionally asserted that EDS coins may have sharper details, but grade worse because they have less luster. That’s my theory but I don’t actually know if it’s true or not.

9. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

The coin has a really ragged rim bottom. I don't even try to figure out gold grades. I've seen slabbed gold coins and the differences in grades just makes me scratch my head and thank Providence I don't collect them, just stack what was decreed in my father's will.

10. imrich

imrich Well-Known Member

I do collect them virtually daily to convert my foolishly saved U.S. Fiat to tangibles before it's value becomes that of composition.

You're bewilderment is similar to mine, and that of the O.P., relative to what I saw as a 9Y.O. BM shop-helper/show-collector more than 70 years ago has really changed.

I now try to acquire quality Gold coins, but it appears my best value is as one of todays' purchases:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/355166476156

One would believe this purchase should represent the epitome of absolute perfection!

JMHO

P.S.: I found it strange that in a market with an elevating Gold price, that I could negotiate purchase of the following!
    It's theoretically the perfect proof grade certified $50 PF70 Gold coin, at $200 less than yesterdays' post; https://www.ebay.com/itm/176321820571

I apologize if my post is found improper/offensive/off-subject, and that someone could properly place same!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Just went to the GC site and looked at their images enlarged to the size of my head and I don't see anything that looks like cleaning. The only marks I see are inside the scrollwork on the rev. Luster looks like cake frosting. Beautiful coin. I can't think of a good reason not to give it a 67.

gmarguli likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted