Buy raw and get 'em graded, or buy graded???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gnomey, May 29, 2014.

1. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

Hey all! New member here and I am just getting into buying nice Morgans. I want to have a collection of graded and slabbed Morgans, but I'm wondering if it is better to buy them already slabbed at whatever price they command, or can I get more bang for my bucks taking a chance on raw coins which I intend on sending off for grading. I see some really nice PL Morgans on ebay that are raw, for instance, and it is very tempting to try buying one and getting it graded myself to see if I scored. Is this a dangerous game? Advice from some coin veterans would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Definitely a dangerous game. My advice is always buy graded coins unless you know what you are doing and you see the coin in hand.

geekpryde likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Are there really nice raw Morgans? Absolutely, but are there endless supplies of them sitting on ebay for just anyone to snap up, submit, and walk away doing the profit dance? No. Not many like leaving money on the table, and while there may seem to be all these "nice coins" available, many are raw for a reason. Morgans, including the so-called "better dates" are (generally speaking) very common coins, so with little effort you should be able to find most any date/mintmark you want residing comfortably inside a slab. If, sometime down the road when more experienced, you want to try your hand, that's fine, but considering your other thread, doing so now would be a fool's errand.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Buy raw, put 'em in Air-Tites.:jawdrop:

6. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Some problems.......people selling raw Morgans on eBay are not usually people looking to give away profit. Or ignorant folks. They are usually raw for a reason most likely because they are not financially wise to slab. Ie it isn't going to increase price much. Now if you are up to par with grading Morgans I myself sometimes try to pick dealers for coins that they conservatively grade and slab them myself. But to do this you need a good sense of the way the tpg companies grade and still I don't think it is very profitable. All in all in my opinion I think its almost impossible to consistently hit coins that score high grades from the slab companies. It is too hard for a beginner to grade through pictures IMHO. Now if you want to just hand pick your Morgans and slab each one without a care about money heck go for it. Just try to be picky remember Morgans are very popul#r and you want a real choice example.

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Food for thought . . . The raw Morgan Dollar market is extremely well picked over. There are precious few nice coins left ungraded. Therefore, most of the lessons to be learned in grading raw Morgans are likely to be painful ones.

chridular and MAKECENTS like this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would ask how much you are spending on 1 coin ? if it's more than $200 I would buy slabbed for sure.

11. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

Look at the ad I posted a link to just above...whats the deal with coins like this? Seems REALLY nice to be "raw" all of these years...

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

so are you saying it was altered ? whizzed ? machined shiny ? :shifty:

13. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

So far around the $120 range on slabbed coins with eye appeal that I personally like. I have yet to spend $$ on raw coins. But ads like this have me perplexed.

14. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

That's what I'm asking you gents sir. :yuck:

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

you'd have to ask the Morgan dollar collectors here what they really think. I collect world coins mostly. I am happy to hear that you are at least looking for eye appeal. I would not spend huge amount of money on raw coins without knowing exactly what it's worth first. get many opinions first. :blackalien:

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

deep mirror proof like coins sure have great eye appeal. I think they will always be popular in the future. :cool:

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

18. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

Buy them slabbed/graded. As others have said, there is a multitude of decent morgans for reasonable prices. Some years in MS64 you can find for $50 or less.

In addition, it will cost you a fee to join NGC to submit coins. Then there is the cost of shipping the coins to NGC. There is an $8 fee for each invoice, plus the grading fees ($30 per coin, or $17 economy with minimum of 5). Then you pay for shipping back, minimum of $24 dollars. I dont use PCGS, but I would imagine their fees are similar.

Unless you are buying high end coins, or if you have lots of disposable income, better to buy graded, especially as a novice.

Just my opinion.

19. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

This is the thing, a proof like Morgan that is frosty and a true dmpl coin are very tough to distinguish. I have sent Morgans of the same year as pictured with 5+ inches of reflectivity and got no plans or dmpl designation. One of the criteria is that a dmpl coin needs to show the same reflectivity throughout its entire field, both sides.

spirityoda likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I buy nearly all Morgan's slabbed most with enough eye appeal for me already are. I've bought a lot of raw coins their usually early stuff out of houses estates etc. I very rarely see a raw Morgan that would grade higher then ms -63 anyway and most have problems. The exception is the GSA Morgans those you need to know how to grade em as a 1882-cc in ms 63 is common but in ms 66 is a much better coin

21. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

To my eye the coin in the listing has natural surfaces. However, I'd say it's MS62, 63 tops. It's common for dealers to send in rolls of Morgans to be graded with 63 or 64 as the threshold; those not making the cut are dumped onto ebay with vague descriptions ("high grade!").

Since you seem to have an eye on investment potential, that of MS63, 64, 65 and even 66 common date Morgans is essentially nil, unless you're buying the lower grades for their silver upside.

Draft saved Draft deleted