Bust of Marcus Aurelius Found in Southern Egypt

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

No pictures in that article? Waaaaaaaah!

ominus1, RAGNAROK and randygeki like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ominus1, RAGNAROK, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, I wonder how they determined the identity of the bust. Not sure who I would have guessed, but it doesn't scream Aurelius.

ominus1, RAGNAROK and medoraman like this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am with TIF. Nothing of that head is saying MA to me. Honestly, looks more like "generic Greek god head" than someone in particular. Maybe Zeus Ammon?

ominus1, RAGNAROK and TIF like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

Interesting comments....to me it's not a slam dunk it's Aurelius' head either, don't know who did the attribution.

ominus1 and RAGNAROK like this.
  8. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't see the ram's horn but it's hard to say for sure with the one suboptimal image.

I'd love to know why it is touted as Marcus Aurelius. Nothing else mentioned in or about the tomb provides a basis for the designation. Maybe the media simply got it wrong. Maybe a media member on site interview someone who tossed out the name as a guess, or maybe the reporter overheard the (baseless?) speculation. Maybe when the dust settles a more scholarly report will be issued.

10. ancient coin hunter

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had forgotten about those. You understand my point though, right? It looks like a generic greek god more than any emperor in particular.

RAGNAROK and TIF like this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

Here's a video of the discovery, also includes some pictorials of Kom Ombo temple which is one of the better preserved temples in Egypt...

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/world/2018/04/23/-bust-roman-emperor-found-egypt/34164879/

More on Kom Ombo temple, actually started by Ptolemy VI Philometer, rather than Ptolemy V Epiphanes as I stated in the original post...it wasn't unusual for the Roman emperors to add hieroglyphs of their names in cartouches to the temples, for example Trajan's name is inscribed in the temple of Esna (Khnum) whilst the last hieroglyphic inscription lists Trajan Decius as pharaoh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Kom_Ombo

ominus1, RAGNAROK and randygeki like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You did not read the same stories I did. Both said that the Egyptian tourist folks hoped such trinkets would restore what they lost in the 2011 turmoil. I can't say the item in question even looks ancient to me but I am no expert. There is a tendency for all items found to be identified as some emperor or famous person. I wonder if there are any statues of well to do merchants who fancied themselves as resembling the emperor and wore his hair in the same way?

I admit I have a really bad attitude about scientific/historical discoveries. Anyone who discovers a bone in the Eastern Mediterranean seems to attribute it to a Biblical figure. Helena, mother of Constantine, toured the Holy Lands and was sold the True Cross. Some discoveries that really might be genuine are hard to separate from the fabrications of the tourist people. I was taught in college that the True Cross of Helena had grown in mass to the point that by the middle ages there was enough to rebuild Noah's Ark. You still see occasional offerings of wood pulp mixed with clay sold as 'Pilgrims Tokens'.
    http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/information/christian-pilgrim-token-history/
    We need to take care when we evaluate wonderful new discoveries. The place to start when gathering evidence is not the daily paper or TV news spots. I'm not sure where it is safe to read but articles like these tend to have issues.

TJC, ominus1, RAGNAROK and 1 other person like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Maybe this :D

CT-MA-MadeInChina.jpg

TJC, ominus1, Orfew and 4 others like this.
  15. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

marcusaurelius egypte.jpg

Assuming its an emperor , I would go for Marcus Aurelius too,just my 2 cents.

P1180606head.jpg

randygeki, Clavdivs, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Generic. There are similarities to other emperors too. I think Doug and the video voiceover linked by @ancient coin hunter probably has the explanation: "Kom Ombo is a unique tourist attraction... Egypt hopes the recent discovery will help increase tourism..." If this bust is of an emperor, among the emperors it could be, only Marcus Aurelius has any "star power" to the general public.

MAbustEgypt.jpg
    Antoninus Pius:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 6.50.01 AM.png
    Marcus Aurelius:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 6.51.40 AM.png
    Septimius Severus:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 6.54.01 AM.png
    Bust of unknown Roman man:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 6.55.14 AM.png

Andres2, ancient coin hunter and TJC like this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

You've hit on something @TIF . The current exchange rate of the Egyptian pound to the U.S. dollar is .057, or roughly 17.5 pounds to the dollar. The exchange rate when I visited Egypt in 2011 was .18 Egyptian pounds to the dollar. Accommodations can be had for 30-50 pounds per night in most places, with Cairo being more expensive and places like Siwa Oasis very cheap.

One can travel as much as one likes seeing the sites without much of a dent in the pocketbook. Visas last for 30 days and if you leave the country at that point and return after visiting a nearby country (I visited Jordan and Turkey) you can get another 30 day VISA. I spent 4 months abroad on that trip.

The government of Egypt needs more tourists and a cash infusion of dollars/UK pounds. However, the political and social climate makes travel there slightly risky, especially in Upper Egypt with more Islamists in the small towns. I actually was held up at gunpoint outside of Kom Ombo temple and shaken down for 200 pounds one evening. Luckily they decided not to harm me.

TIF likes this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

YeeeeeIKES!

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

Yeah @TIF , it was not a fun experience. Also, I had my i-Phone stolen at Siwa Oasis. Couldn't even take a picture of the oracle at Siwa (temple of Ammon). But it did tell me where Alexander's tomb is! ;)

Andres2 and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted