Bust Half and Bust Quarter Grade Input

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Hey folks. I have a couple nice bust coins that I would love some input on. Here are my thoughts:
    The first is a quarter that has likely been cleaned. You don’t see these with this level of wear too often. I think the obverse is XF and the reverse is AU. I love the feathers on the Eagle! Unfortunately it has no luster and has likely been cleaned.
    More importantly, let’s talk about the bust half. There appears to be some luster left and the detail is every bit in the AU range. Has it been cleaned? Maybe...maybe not.
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I have a couple photos of each in different setups.
    C153AE42-E79C-4A8F-8127-2465E3F7A3F7.jpeg 2E611E7E-5F44-4D6B-99B2-699267A00188.jpeg CD8B732A-75DC-457E-8F10-86EB81F52C2E.jpeg 84403CF0-4914-4AA3-8EB5-9120C92FCA90.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I like them both whether they've been cleaned or not.

4. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I agree with you on both pieces although the quarter would probably be offered for sale as an AU. From the pics I would call the half an AU-55 to 58 (depending on the luster).

Both appear to be very nice coins I would be happy to own.

5. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with okbustchaser. Personally, as I'm an expert by no means, I always assume that any coin in the raw has been cleaned. If the two listed were for sale, and going from the photos, the eye appeal would have me bidding dependent on the price. Of course adjusting my bid based on the third party graded average with what grade I deem it to be. Usually one grade lower in cost playing it safe.

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sorry, but both coins were obviously cleaned/dipped, the surfaces look “wrong”.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at XF on the quarter and 53 on the half. Nice coins.

8. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'm at 45 on the quarter and 53 on the half. both probably dipped at some point but not excessively from what I can see. Nice album coins

9. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

Disregarding the cleaning, I see the quarter as an EF-45 and the half as an AU-58. The first picture makes the half look really nice and possibly original. The second picture changes my mind about that.

10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

45 on the quarter, maybe going to 50 on a liberal day at the TPG. But it looks like excessive dipping giving it a dull appearance. Probably going to come back from the TPG in a Details holder.

The half is at 55 and looks like a nice coin. Obviously dipped but it doesn't look like it killed it. I'd say maybe an 80-90% chance of straight-grading.

Draft saved Draft deleted