bust facing/left/right etc.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by YOC, May 4, 2016.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I was looking through ebay at some tetradrachms as I am considering buying a coin or two and saw this one which the seller says is of caracalla, left facing.
    It looks to me as though the portrait is from the rear and I am sure this is just poor perspective on the part of the die cutter, but it does look slightly awkward.
    The giveaway is the brooch I suppose, which if visible would suggest the body is facing and not turned away. Are there any other directions listed than right left or facing?
    behind.jpg
    behind2.jpg

stevex6, Mikey Zee, TIF and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Certainly! In some issues collectors make a distinction between 'as seen from front' and 'as seen from rear' making the distinction according to the placement of the button. I believe slightly from rear is more often seen than extremes of either direction. I don't consider this at all awkward. gi1385bb3030.jpg

I don't have a front tet but like that view better as shown on this one.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2344219

stevex6, Mikey Zee, TIF and 3 others like this.
  4. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Just another example of the fact that I have no idea what I am talking about.....
    I should read, not write. :oops:

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The fastest way to get the right answer to your question on the internet is to post the wrong answer. ;)

Mikey Zee, TIF, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lovely tet. Would like to get that bust type one day.

7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is a left facing Caracalla "seen from the rear":

CaracallaLeftO.jpg CaracallaLeftR.jpg
    Prier 228, struck 4th consulship (Delta at the end of the reverse legend), 215-217 AD.

stevex6, Mikey Zee, TIF and 4 others like this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Is there any significance in the eagle facing the opposite way as the emperor?

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect this is just random. These two tets show them in the same direction.
    gi1380bb1044.jpg gi1390bb0424.jpg

Paul M., stevex6, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very attractive Tets everyone!! For one reason or another, I'm still missing that type for Caracalla.

Draft saved Draft deleted