Business Strike

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MKent, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the coins in the Mint Sets are from the same run as the business strike coins or is there some distinction?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Different run, but that's all . . . same planchets & tooling. The only difference is the setup to make coinage for packaging, rather than bagging. There should be no difference in quality between coins destined for mint sets and for register drawers.

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Once upon a time they were regular business strikes. From 2005 through 2010 the coins have a satin finish. More recent sets have coins that are described as brilliant and struck with extra pressure - I'm surprised the TPG'ers certify these as MS and not SP, as they are distinguishable from business strikes.

5. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I think the 'extra pressure' sets actually began before the satin finish sets. I saw this somewhere, may have been in the insert from one of my late 90's - early 00's sets.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I think that the coins destined for the mint sets receive special handling to eliminate some of the marks which occur as the coins are shot into the ballista bags.

coinzip likes this.
  7. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Thank y'all I was curious about it but as usual the knowledge on CT came through again.

8. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

Checked last night and at least by 2003 the special presses with extra pressure were being used for the mint sets. However, well struck regular business strikes would be difficult if not impossible to distinguish from the mint set strikes.

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Oh, I thought the only difference was that Mint Set coins were struck with new dies.
    After a few hundred (thousand?) strikes the dies were used for ordinary business strikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted