Business Strike vs. Satin Finish

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mr. Coin, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That isn't what I asked. What documentation do you have that states that the Mint made Roosevelt dimes with a satin finish in '63/64?

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

sorry, didn't under the question ! heres a picture from pcgs of a 1964 satin Roosevelt Dime ! 1964-satin  ( pcgs ) (2).jpg

4. Rick Stachowski

heres some of the obverse, and reverse of the 1964 satin ! pictures from pcgs 1964-satin  ( pcgs ) (2).jpg 1964-satin  ( pcgs ) (3).jpg

5. cpm9ball

Do you have a link to an article? That '64 looks like it has been whizzed.

Chris

6. Rick Stachowski

just go on pcgs site, go to price guide, then go to half dimes and dimes, scroll down to roosevelt dimes, go to the satin area ( its at the end of page ) the number on the satin coin is 5220, click this number, and out will come the picture i posted of the 1964 satin !

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Umm... no offense, but no thanks too. Ill pass on both, even at $8.

Notice anything different about the above coin and yours? This is an SMS pulled off of coinfacts.

8. Rick Stachowski

ya, and so is my a sms, with all the fine lines in it too, and the point is A003 - 20121016_104031 (2).jpg A019 - 20121021_171157 (2).jpg

9. cpm9ball

Rick, maybe I'm on the wrong planet, but I believe SMS stands for Special Mint Set, not Satin Mint Set. There were a limited number of these sets produced for 1964 and they were also produced for 1965-1967.

Chris

10. Rick Stachowski

yes you are right, that what they are, but they are also called satin-like coins ! i tried to download the article, but they said the file was to big !

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The fine lines on his are post mint, whereas the fine lines on the SMS pic are flow lines.

Look at the lines. On the SMS coin they radiate from center out. On the OPs coin, they all run the same direction. If I didn't know better, I'd say that his coin has been whizzed.

12. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

They are not satiny at all. Actually, quite contrary, they mostly have proof-like surfaces like the 1965-67 SMS coins. PCGS has graded around 20 of these, and Heritage has several archived images you can view. None of them look "satiny", nor have I ever heard anyone refer to them as such.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And you'll still be around young fellow..........

14. Rick Stachowski

the rims on theses coins are twice as thick as the business strike, coins are blue, and white in color ! i do not clean coins ! the rims on my are brand new looking ! heres some more pictures A007 - 20121016_105532 (2).jpg A005 - 20121016_104753 (2).jpg

15. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I have all the satin Jefferson nickels ( or matte finish if you want to call them that ). Boy was I glad when they stopped that fiasco. I had to get 5 new nickels every year and more in 2005 to keep my set up to snuff. I did not chase after Lincolns or other series but have an odd one or so laying around somewhere.

16. Rick Stachowski

well, 1965-1967 aren't even silver, doesn't even compare too what i have !

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

do you have both the 2004-P and 2007-P matte Proofs? If you like that finish those two coins are stunning!

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Trust me... I am not agreeing with him and was only trying to get him to look closer.

19. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Yes I do. I have 3 1994's in the folders ( One has a star note in the package ), they are all toned gold on the reverse to some degree. I have 1 1997 but I don't know what the 1997 looks like cause it's still in the cello unopened.
    I like them all but don't like keeping up with more intentionally minted products by the US mint to make money to keep my set "complete".

20. Rick Stachowski

the spoke effect on this coin moves perfect, easy to tell a clean coin, has the shield effect if cleaned

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You're on the right planet Chris. The other fellow is on the third rock from nowhere........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.