Business advice....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by brandon spiegel, May 31, 2016.

1. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Hello, As some of you may know I am in the process of starting an amazon sellers account, so I can sell starter sets and a pocket sized book that I wrote. Fortunately, the school that I go to funded me with enough money to make 13 copies of the book!! Then, on page 36, under a picture of a Roosevelt dime I accidentally said cpresent instead of present. Currently, I would prefer to not completely scrap this initiatory, (but will if there is no better solution) and am considering either a) leaving the error and correcting it for future copies. b) including a silver Roosevelt dime on the image, or in an apology note so the consumer will be thinking of the Roosevelt dime that they received, as opposed to the error, or c) completely scraping the books that are already printed if I have to. What do you think I should do?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

White out, seriously.

Kentucky and Cascade like this.
  4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Could be worse, I had a book published and misspelled my own name on the introduction page. Fortunately it was only one copy for my personal use. I corrected the error and negotiated a reduced price on the reprint. Still have the original as a reminder to proof read several times and to have someone else proof also.

Seattlite86 and Kentucky like this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If that is the only error you found in the entire book, I think your readers will understand . . . JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!! . . . (kidding).

6. I wouldn't worry about it, everyone makes mistakes. Just if you make more copies, don't do it again

Manbeast and Kentucky like this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh boy, your name. Really lol. At least it wasn't on your SAT's.

8. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Believe it or not it was spell check that changed it, and I didn't catch it.:arghh:
    Changed it from Larson to arson. Maybe I should have burned it.

micbraun, Kentucky and Endeavor like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, right! A how-to book about filing insurance claims.

Chris

sonlarson and Kentucky like this.
  10. brandon spiegel

Thank you all for the advice and to sonlarson at least it was only one copy =) Thank you so much for the white out tip as well, to be honest I did not think of doing that!

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

At least it was only 13 copies ( unlucky number). In the old days you would have to start with an order of 250 copies just to keep costs down. Now, with printing on demand at Amazon it's a whole lot easier. Just out of curiosity, did you do a paperback or spiral bound?

brandon spiegel likes this.
  12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

What the hell is a cpresent? :D

brandon spiegel likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ah...the famous...or infamous Larson E. Whipsnade.

sonlarson likes this.
  14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Major books have more than one typo sometimes, so I wouldn't worry. I'm sure you're the only one who will be bothered by it. Pat yourself on the back for getting it done and with few errors.

SilverMike likes this.
  15. brandon spiegel

Wow, thats crazy! Its amazing too, how someone can get a free ISBN number, and utilize amazon.com, and other companies as distribution channels! (the option that i am opting for) =) Currently, I am utilizing a paperback sattle stitch, because this book is so small (4''x6'' and 44 pages long) I choose to make it so small, so new coin collectors can utilize it as a quick access reference resource while making purchasing decisions at selling venues such as coin shops, and coin shows. Also, it can help them navigate the coin market as a whole, and some numismatic resources.

16. brandon spiegel

hahahha =) I thought the same thing! it is supposed to be present, which I changed from current

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you want something a little better than whiteout, do you know anyone with a Brother P touch labeling machine?

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Now print a bunch more, and ask a higher price for the originals as Mint Errors.

19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you do have a future printing and fix it, add the following:

"Disclaimer: The editor has left at least one typographical error in the body of the text just to make sure the reader is paying appropriate attention to detail while reading."

Pickin and Grinin and tommyc03 like this.
  20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Take a fresh X-Acto blade and lightly scrape ink or toner of the "c" away. It will leave a small bit of damage to the page but will be, for the most part, indiscernible to the average individual. Hole the X-Acto blade nearly parallel to the page to avoid "gouging" the paper. Use short, light scrapes and just take your time.

And before you begin laughing, just remember that its better than just tossing all 13 copies.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Very nice. I believe the word you were looking for should be "Saddle Stitch" Not (sattle.) ;) Which terminology, I believe came from the old days of actual stitching of horse saddles. Actually, the same people who would stitch saddles were also hired to stitch leather covers on books before the advent of the machinery that would assemble cardboard covers and bind them. See how easy it all is now?;)

Draft saved Draft deleted