Burnt Coins that need to be cleaned see date

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mark_h, Nov 5, 2007.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I have around 100-300 half dollar coins that were in a fire about 15-20 years ago. The dealer told me to first remove any warped or bent coins. Then they must be able to see the date. Then sort out anything past 1970 as face value - but they will not take them. So some of the coins are in bad shape - what kind of cleaner would you recommend? We just need to see the date. I counted maybe 10 Franklins and maybe 10 walking libery halves, and only 1 morgan. The rest are Kennedy halves that we need to find the date on. Some of them aren't warped but are so crusty we can not see the dates. I figure the date might cleanup with soap and water. None are worth more than the silver content.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Then what difference does it make whether the date is visible? Bullion is bullion is bullion.

4. adelv_unegv

adelv_unegv New Member

My guess would be 40% vs. 90%

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have no idea what the problem is with the bent/warped coins, but I am guessing that they are so fouled that he cannot tell what is silver and what is not. Franklins, liberty and Morgans are silver - no problem. As to the Kennedy's, I would start with vinegar and see if that works. Another trial might be ammonia. Maybe one after the other. As a last resort - IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH WORKING WITH ACIDS - try hydrochloric acid. Use it VERY dilute acid. It will remove an equivalent amount of metal. All you should need is enough color (these will not alter the color of silver) to determine if it is silver. If your dealer will not take it that way, try another. As stated above, all you are going for is bullion vale.

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

After some experimenting, consider treating the whole coin. If its blown to hell anyway, who cares? At least you'll even out the tone!

7. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Two things,

1. If you decide to work with Ammonia, be very careful not to mix it with an Acid, especially not Muratic Acid (the fumes from both combine to make a cool smoke screen that you definitely don't want to inhale).

2. Try a small jeweler. They are more skilled at determining silver content and may actually be buying for themselves to melt and make into jewelry, thus potentially paying a higher value.

Good Luck

8. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Jewelers aren't normally intesrest in making there own silver parts from lumps of metal, also jewleers use .925 not .9

9. Eyesee

Eyesee Member

You could always weigh them with a gram scale to figure out which ones are silver at least

Silver-clad issues (1965-1970, 1975-1976):
    • Weight: 11.5 g
    • Composition: Outer layers: 80% silver, 20% copper Inner layers: 20.9% silver, 79.1% copper
    • Silver content: 4.60 g (0.1479 troy oz)
    Copper-nickel clad issues (1971 to date):
    • Weight: 11.34 g (0.4 oz avoirdupois)
    • Composition: 75% copper, 25% nickel

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you are dead set on cleaning the coins, just go buy a commercial coin dip and use it. It's a lot safer - for you !

11. mark_h

We got some of that - we will be getting the coins. I will see if I can get some pictures of the lot. There is no numismatic value to the coins. They are being sorted for silver content only. We will play it safe and use the commercial dip we have - on those that soap and water will not clean up. Weighing them will not work since the dealer said - "We just have to see the date and we will pay 7 * face value". I can't wait to see how many we can unload - the person having us take care of them only thinks they are worth face value. Will he be suprised when we give him more than he is expecting.

12. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I don't know about your area ut around her the silver has been going for 9-91/2 times face. Check around before you sell. Thats for the 64 and older, the forty percent is less.

Richard

13. mark_h

Yep your right - 9 to 9.5 times face for 64 and older. And 7 times face for kennedy halves in 65 to 70 range. I think the Kennedy halves make up 95% of these coins. Anything greater than 71 they do not want.

14. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

I'll sell you some of the 40%ers for 7 times face. Heck, I'll even do it for 6.

3.5 to 4 times face is at the upper end for 40% kennedies. You usually need a $1000 to net the upper end.

It's hard to find a small jeweler that deals with there own silver, but I've found them before (they are getting scarce).

another avenue might be to try http://www.midwestrefineries.com/silver.htm

according to their website, they claim they will determine your silver content at no extra charge. If you do try them, please post how the experience goes here.

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Truer words were never spoken. For a few cents never risk your eyes. Just go to Walmart, Kmart, etc and buy Jewlery cleaner. For low value coins makes no difference.

16. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

I'm not advocating the muratic acid route, but a commercial coin cleaner is not any less toxic, although it does have less fumes.

17. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

It is not necessarily the toxidity of a solution but the lack of knowledge of how to use it, where to use it, what not to do with it, etc. Everyone should realize that suggesting dangerous situations to some people is not in thier best interest. There are always people that read something, run out to buy that substance, mix it with something they heard somewhere and poof, no eyes, no house, lots of fire engines, lots of rest in a hospital. It is alwahys best to suggest the safest items first. If Acids or other caustic solutioins are suggested, numerous warnings should also be noted.

Draft saved Draft deleted