Burnished?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Joea59

Joea59 Member

Does the Mint we buy from have the bullion coins at the same place as the burnished? I know they ship bullions to a certain lists of sellers as bulk and not to the public. So how could it be a package error? I guess I need to call the Mint and ask them my questions and I need someone to look at my coin to tell if it is bullion or burnished. I'm kinda thinking someone might have switched it. I mean what are the odds of me having such an error? I would guess not too likely but I'm no expert and my eyes are not as good as they use to be to tell the difference. I know the buillions have more of a shine to them than the burnished. I live close to Lubbock, Texas and I'm not sure who to take it to and have a look at it. Is there anyone here from Lubbock or close that would know of anyone who would know what I have?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

As has been previously said, the Eagles minted at the West Point Mint are what are currently termed as "burnished" uncirculated. There is quite the difference, however between the "Burnished" and "bullion" Silver Eagles. This is mostly due to the process of burnishing the blanks. The Eagles minted at the West Point facility are burnished using a different media than that used to burnish the "bullion" blanks.

These special burnished strikes resemble more of a matte proof finish when struck. Naturally, because they are not produced the same way as proof coins, they won't be "proof quality", but I see them as matte proof-like.

Here is one to compare:
    US-2007-W--2007-dollar-silver_eagle-NCLT--silver-coin-PCGS--MS69-28798361--gallery-.jpg
    As you can see, the design is more pronounced with the white matte brilliance being evenly distributed across the coin.

mikenoodle likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The coins in those sets were bullion at that time.....

5. Joea59

Joea59 Member

Shouldn't the Silver Eagle have the "W" mint mark? I've seen pictures of others sets that have the mint mark. My set does not have the mint mark. I'll take it somewhere to be looked at. I don't know if I can take a good enough picture of it to see what it is, proof like or a white matte brilliance look. Thanks for the replies and time on a post I did not start.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Silver Eagles were made before the West Point Mint opened so some of them won't have the W.

7. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I believe the W mint mark, burnished Eagles started in 2006.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm not exactly sure but I know The West Point was established in 1937. I think Ronald Reagon signed a bill in the late 1980's using the W as a Mint mark.

I know that West Point minted pennies and Bicentennial Quarters to relieve the other Mints. Not sure about other denominations.

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Any ASEs with no mint marks are bullion strikes available from the mint by dealers only. Struck in the tens of millions. You can buy them for a few dollars above spot. Then someone got the bright idea to grade them.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Find a 2011 5 coin Silver Eagle Set. I used to believe very much the same as you, but then I used this set as a test and of the 5 coins, there are 2 burnished and 1 “circulation strike” Silver American Eagles, and I, as well as others could pick the CS coin from the 3 every time.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Correct BOTH are struck on burnished blanks, but the blanks for the W mint Burnished ASE are burnished in a different media. The only difference, other than the mintmark, that I can see between the Burnished and the bullion is the Burnished tend to be a little whiter than the typical bullion piece. Of course a bullion coin from new or recently refurbished dies is also a little whiter than the typical bullion ASE. So if it wasn't for the W mintmark, I would consider the Burnished and the bullion ASE's to be the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted