Burned a Second Time, To Much Hidden in a 2x2!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hoky77, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I should have learned the lesson the first time,If you don't know dealer ask to remove the coin from the 2x2 even if it is stapled! This example wasn't as pricey as the bent 1858 Canadian Large Cent but it still raised the hackles on my neck. This 1897 IHC was hard to pass up at $14, now I know why it was priced that way.
    IMG_5658.JPG IMG_5656.JPG IMG_5659.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's art! Hobo Edge! :wacky:

4. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

That's to bad, I guess some deals are really " to good to be true "

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Hoky77 likes this.
  5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

an indian head cent with reeding... wouldn't that be a mint error??

Hoky77 likes this.
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Ugh. Yes, those 2 X 2s can hide really miserable surprises. I sadly had a similar experience when I overpaid for a 1944 Walker 50c that looked FANTASTIC in the flip and when I got home and opened it up the rim was covered with dings. I didn't pay too much for it otherwise I would have confronted him, because he had to know that it was overpriced. I have since avoided him when I see his face at coin shows. This hobby does unfortunately have a slimy side.

It would have been nice if the dealer had written "damaged rim" or something on the flip for the IHC. Of course he probably would never sell it with that addition. Ugh.

Hoky77 likes this.
  7. bsting

bsting Never enough coins.lol

Note to self: Never open 2x2!

carly likes this.
  8. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

My note: Always open 2X2 before purchase or while present with dealer.

Hoky77 likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I suppose you could just push it into the Dansco and not think about the edge...

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You could mill the edge and make it proof-like.......Nah, that's wrong, but I saw one in a show. Dealer called it an "impaired proof".

spirityoda and Hoky77 like this.
  11. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I bought this to flip and of course I will divulge all the information when I sell it. I got it last summer at the PAN (3 hrs. from where I live) and for some reason it got set aside,it was to far to take back anyway. I was burned here for one reason, I trusted the dealer. Simply put, my fault. This is what I like about eBay, they make their sellers tow the line. If a product is misrepresented you get your money back and the seller is punished by having to pay the return shipping.

ewomack likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a shame, otherwise a beautiful coin.

spirityoda and Hoky77 like this.
  13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm sure the prior owner must have added those treads for any collector friends with butterfingers.

Hoky77 likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Bummer.

Hoky77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted