Bunch of grapes and a woman on the obverse.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by paschka, Jul 6, 2015.

1. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

image-38.jpeg Here's another coin unknown to me, a bunch of grapes and letters T A and on the other side of the image of women.What could it be for the coin? image-37.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Gil-galad, stevex6 and Orfew like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Gil-galad, Orfew, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  4. paschka

AEOLIS, Temnos. 3rd-2nd centuries BC. Æ (12mm, 2.12 g, 12h). Wreathed head of Dionysos right / Grape bunch on vine; flower to left. SNG von Aulock 1673 var. (monogram to right); SNG Copenhagen 251-3 var. (no flower). VF, dark brown patina. Very rare with flower and no monogram.

"no monograms" this applies to my coin, it is also very rare?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, something like that. The details on your coin are too worn to give a more specific attribution.

Also, that green stuff, if powdery, is bronze disease. Search for "bronze disease" on CoinTalk and Google to see various ways to treat it. Left untreated, your coin will fairly quickly be reduced to green powder :(

paschka likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If it is bronze disease, do yourself a favor and contact badthad here for his product that treats it. A simply treatment can stop this from damaging the coin further.

paschka likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You edited this post after I had replied, so I'll amend my reply.

I don't think you can determine whether or not your coin is "no monogram" because of condition. Maybe it is "no monogram", maybe not. I don't know anything about the varieties of this coin. The listing you cite mentions "...with flower and no monogram." I don't see a flower on yours (although it too could be present but worn), so this may be an entirely different variety.

paschka likes this.
  8. paschka

TIF THANK YOU!

TIF likes this.
  9. paschka

Draft saved Draft deleted