Bummer. Wrong Coin Received

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Mar 5, 2022.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I won two coins last week and was really excited to get both of them since they are both types I didn't have yet. Imagine my dismay when I opened the package today and one of the coins was not what I ordered. I contacted the seller and am waiting on a response but with the way my day has gone, I don't have much hope that the coin I won will make its way to my home.

Here is the coin I ordered (Seller's pics - obviously)
    iovi herac obv.png
    Maximian
    IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG
    Jupiter on left holds globe and long scepter and receives Victory on globe presented by Hercules holding club.
    TR in field and XXI<palm branch> in exergue
    RIC V.II Maximian 624, page 295, "Tripolis, 285 to 290."
    Sear 13135 TR.
    (ID pulled from Warren Esty's webpage)

What I received:
    20220305_135150.jpg 20220305_135217.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed that things get fixed!
    In the meantime, post your coins from Triopolis, coins of Maximian, or whatever else floats your boat.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do I understand correctly that the DIVO was correct but the workshop 9 was in error?
    ru3590bb1836.jpg ru3610bb2064.jpg ru3690bb1428.jpg

Keep us posted on the reply. Everyone makes mistakes. The important part is how they handle them. I have had this sort of thing happen where a seller sent my coin to someone else and sent me another person's win. The other winner was happy keeping my coin so I just kept his. Correcting overseas mistakes can cost more in postage than it is worth. That was why I stopped buying from certain dealers in several countries including the US. I am currently hoping to receive the two coins I won last week. One of them is something I wanted due to a post on CT.

imrich, ominus1, Marsyas Mike and 2 others like this.
  4. furryfrog02

Sorry, yes the DIVO was correct. Same auction same seller.
    The CONCORDIA should've been the IOVI ET HERCV..
    I was pretty excited for it since I've neved seen the reverse before.
    The seller is in the US thankfully. But I am concerned he sent my coin to someone else.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping things will get fixed.

I had that happen once, what I ordered:
    3MxgZo9d5Tyz6z2A8nCnB6fL7eYKF4.jpg
    What I got:
    7sWLwJ6eRYj9Nb8Z3SfdQD2of4pP5i.jpg

I didn't have a Thasos Tet, so I kept the mistake and re-ordered the original; they were really similar in price. I'm hoping that your order will turn out as well as mine did.

6. furryfrog02

Those are both beautiful.

7. nerosmyfavorite68

Thanks; the Alexander posthumous Tet is fairly low grade, as those go. Both were pretty modestly priced.

Such things can be very annoying, but if you got it from a reputable dealer, I'm sure things will get sorted out.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

I've purchased from this seller before and had no issues.
    The other thing that bums me out is that from what I gather, this is a somewhat uncommon coin.
    If I'm reading Warren's page correctly, coins of Maximian from Tripolis are "rare". Based off my admittedly not expert research, I was only able to find 4 examples on acsearch and 1 on vcoins with the "TR" and only 2 that are TR/XXI(palm leaf).

9. nerosmyfavorite68

Here's hoping things get fixed.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this @furryfrog02 - disappointments are no fun. :grumpy:

Here's my disappointment for the week - a very low grade AE of Septimius Severus from Cappadocia failed to show up - the envelope, the holder and the packing slip showed up, just not the coin.

Here's what happens (and it has happened to me half a dozen times over the past 10 years or so) - seller puts coin in first class un-padded white paper envelope. Coin slides around inside envelope, weakening its seams. Coin falls out in Post Office sorting machine, mail carrier's bag, back of truck, who knows? This is not the Post Office's fault - this is 100% sender's shoddy packaging. :mad:

Here's a photo of the split edge on the envelope - my only comfort is the possibility that archeologists will someday find my Cappadocian AE from the third century lying around in Pennsylvania or Ohio, and conclude Greek seafarers colonized the Rust Belt c. 200 A.D.:

Unresearched coin failed delivery Mar 2022 (3).JPG

11. furryfrog02

Oh man! That's rough! I've only had that happen to me one time. A seller sent a loose Great Britain half crown in a regular white envelope with just a stamp on the outside (After charging something like 5x the cost of the stamp for shipping). It arrived with a half crown sized rip in the bottom corner of the envelope.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  12. nerosmyfavorite68

Other than one lost coin, I've been lucky enough for that not to happen.

I've had it happen in other hobbies: One hall of fame class moron ebay seller packed a one of a kind record with the edges hanging OUTSIDE the package, in between two slices of wood. Furthermore, he sent it UPS, not USPS. However, one wonders why UPS let it go through that way.

The shellac record kind of survived, with a big chip missing.

By sandwich, I had meant this: https://eastriverstringband.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/78_packing_instructions.jpg

The other time; a collector used a super flimsy box to send a bunch of heavy reel to reel tapes, with no additional taping. I received an empty box.

DonnaML and Marsyas Mike like this.
  13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Yeah, a half crown is big enough to do a lot of damage to an envelope. I'm sorry for your loss! :(

A couple weeks ago I had a Marcus Aurelius sestertius get shipped the same way - $10 shipping from one state over! Plain white envelope, about two bucks first class postage. This one got mutilated in the sorting machinery at the Post Office. To their credit, they salvaged what they could of the mangled envelope and put it in one of their own "oops" envelopes and sent it on...without the coin, at that point.

Got my money back, including the outrageous $10 shipping, but it still irked me - and in general I hate the idea of an ancient just getting lost like that (unless some future archaeologists find it). :arghh::mad::(

You can get by with shipping small coins in a regular envelope; a very nice lady just sent me a Trajan denarius for about a buck shipping - she had it well-secured in the envelope and it came in just fine First Class:

Trajan - Denarius Aequitas Feb 2022 (0).jpg

And really, overall, people do a pretty good job packaging stuff, even the junky stuff I get off eBay. So I try to stay cheerful! :)

Speaking about shipping the wrong coin, I had this happen a couple years ago - the eBay seller refunded all my money and told me to keep the "wrong" coin, which wasn't all that bad anyway, just not the one I ordered. But he took care of the problem, and I appreciate that - we all make mistaks...mistakes. :bucktooth:

Bing, Alegandron, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
  14. furryfrog02

I believe the seller will make good. I do worry that he won't still have the coin I won though and I don't know if I will find another like it in my price range :(

Fingers crossed.

DonnaML, Theodosius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  15. furryfrog02

Well I have a happy update. The seller got back to me and said he had the coin sitting on his desk and just mistakenly sent the wrong one. He sent it out the next day and it just arrived a bit ago.

I am super happy to have such an interesting coin. A reverse I've never seen from a mint that I did not have yet:
    slazzer-edit-image (23).png
    Maximianus
    AE Antoninianus
    Tripolis mint
    285-290 AD
    Obverse legend: IMP C M AVR VAL MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: IOV ET HERC CONSERVATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing right holding sceptre and globe facing Hercules standing left holding Victory and club, TR in lower centre
    Mintmark XXI palm branch

Here are better pictures of the other 2 coins. The one I won along with the above coin and the mistake coin:
    slazzer-edit-image (26).png
    Maximianus
    AE follis
    Posthumous issue
    Struck under Constantine
    317-318 AD
    Obverse: DIVO MAXIMIANO SEN FORT IMP, laureate and veiled head right
    Reverse: REQVIES OPTIMOR MERIT, Maximianus seated left on curule chair, holding sceptre and raising right hand
    Mintmark RP

slazzer-edit-image (30).png
    Maximianus
    AE Antoninianus
    Antioch mint
    Obverse: IMP C MA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: CONCORDIA MIL-ITVM, Maximianus receiving Victory from Jupiter, EΔ in lower centre
    Mintmark dot XXI.

16. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it all worked out well in the end.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. furryfrog02

Me too! I really was worried.

18. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Finally a shipping mix up that turned out well.

That is an interesting coin. :)

John

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted