Bulk world coins - recommendations?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by oldwormwood, May 29, 2015.

1. oldwormwood

oldwormwood Collector

Hi,

I am starting a world coin-collecting club for the students at my elementary school, and was fortunate enough to get a grant to pay for the coins & start-up supplies. My thought is to purchase a bulk lot of world coins for the students. I see that Black Mountain Coins offers a 25 lb. lot with free shipping in the U.S.. Does this seem like a reasonable deal? Do you have any suggestions for other dealers whom I should consider for this sort of purchase?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Ebay has tons of bulk sales. be warned you will get many common coins in multiples.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    oldwormwood and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

That link is asking for $9 per pound. You can get the same kind of bulk lots of common modern coins for around $5-$6 per pound total cost on eBay.
    Or for $9 per pound you can get a mix with some older stuff as well.

There are quite a few dealers here that I'm sure have large quantities of common foreign coins on hand in bulk. Perhaps one of them would be willing to put something together for you. Try posting in "Want lists" in the advertising section.

oldwormwood likes this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Less than ten cents per coin, delivered, is certainly reasonable, in my mind. I might buy one myself.

And O.P., I would hold back a dozen selected coins, before they ever see them, to have an "identify it" test somewhere down the line, to see if the students have mastered the techniques.

You might want to pick up some National Geographic world maps, too, to give a sense of place. For instance, the country name "Suomi" may mean nothing to your kids, until one of them Googles it, then sees it on the map.

6. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

If you want to make this quick and simple; just go to your local coin store and I will almost guarantee that your coin store owner has a world coins bin that has tons and tons of different world coins in bulk at a very low price. Heck, my coin dealer practically gives away his world coins. Granted most of those coins he gives away have no silver in them; but some of the world coins he has are perfect for your future coin collectors. Good Luck.

oldwormwood likes this.
  7. Pawnmonkey

Pawnmonkey -----so easy even a monkey can do it-----

Sounds like a fun thing to do with the kids. I've accumulated some world coins through purchases that hold no interest to me. PM your information to me and I'll send you what I've got.

oldwormwood and afantiques like this.
  8. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

Hey email your address ( bravesfandevotee@yahoo.com ) and I will send you some free world coins after the 4th of July. I would send them sooner but I won't be home until after then.

oldwormwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted