Bulk world coin offer

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by CoinBlazer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

My Militaria dealer is offering me this bulk box of foreigns for a $100 bill. It has all ages, oldest being 1700s and newest being some euros. How does that deal sound just for educational/ collector purposes and not for resale?

F4F16353-A099-4920-870F-4F1FD9DD877F.jpeg 40F4035E-9190-47C6-9136-1C1DE4CEB9BC.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If there's something in there you want, it may be a deal. Looks like he is doing early Spring cleaning.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Why not, there may be some keepers in there and could be fun to go through, but if a $100 is too much to spare, then move on.

But most likely it's been sorted through for the good stuff.

tibor likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I could not say on this lot. I usually buy bulk at $70.00 for 10 pounds loose from WCE or near the same from L&C Coins on a promo. My recent pickup from L&C had about a dozen nice XF/B.U. 1970's Egyptian that listed in Krause for $10-$25 each so I did well on that lot. If it feels right, go for it.

6. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Offer him 75.00!

tibor likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, I think $7/lb. is about right. I don't think there is 14 lbs. in that bunch.

Chris

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Depends how many euros are in there.

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Sounds like a lot to me. There's no way to tell what's in there but since they're in 2x2s there aren't nearly as many as it looks like. I can cherry pick at my local dealer for 15 cents a coin. I think you'd be paying way too much.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Seems expensive at $100. Maybe this is good opportunity to practice your negotiating skills. Offer him half and hold out .If he can get more elsewhere, then you missed out. Many lots like this are filled with low value common stuff, so if you miss out it won't be a total loss. If you know enough to see something(s) valuable, grab it. If not, save the C Note and buy some nice coins for your date sets

Mr. Flute likes this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Nothing in those photos makes me think there's a lot of value there. I'll bet it's not worth $20. And he may say there's something from the 1700s, but it's probably something really common with a barely readable date, like a British halfpenny.

tommyc03, Oldhoopster and Mr. Flute like this.
  12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

My experience is that boxes like this one are usually filled with a handful of keepers (if you're lucky) and a whole lot of junk.

Have you searched the box and know there are some coins in there that you'd really like to own? And if you bought those keepers singly, would the cost add up to more than $100? If not, I'd pass.

tommyc03 and Oldhoopster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted