Bulk Discount for submission?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Let's say I had like 50 or so Washington quarters I wanted to have graded. Is there any sort of large/bulk submission discount for lots of 50 or 100 submissions? I have a very nice nearly complete set of Washington quarters that I would like to have graded but at $30-40 a pop, it's just not worth it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's my understanding that bulk submissions are permitted only by dealers, and the coins must be the same date/mintmark.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

Correction: NGC Elite members are eligible for bulk submission discounts.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Noah Finney likes this.
  4. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

How many of these quarters are valued at over $300? If they are less than $300 they qualify for economy tier which is $18/coin. And honestly, if they are valued over $300, you should probably have them graded anyway.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Bulk submissions for NGC can be done by the highest tier.

Bulk Submissions for PCGS can be done by ANY member as long as they follow the rules.

The big dealers get better rates but bulk submissions are not limited to dealers

7. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

For most (many dates) it isn't worth the cost unless you are sure the coins will come back 67 or higher.

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'll do bulk Morgan dollar submissions of >= 100 coins at PCGS every several months using dealer bulk. I could do Washington quarters, too, but the same rules apply. At least 100 coins, anything that grades such that the value is significantly over $300 is charged accordingly, and the other fees depend on grades assigned. I don't know what the scale would be for quarters, but for Morgans, costs are between $5 and $25 per coin.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I guess it kind of depends on how you define "a complete set", but even a date set - 1 coin per year- that's 89 coins. If it's a mint/date set, and or the set includes Proofs, the number just gets higher and higher. But even at 89 and $20 a coin your approaching $2000 to get them graded as a minimum.

So, unless you are planning to try and sell them in the near future I would be asking - why bother spending that much money ? I mean if you're just keeping the coins having them graded isn't go to change anything so it doesn't really justify spending that much.

And if you do wish to sell them I somehow doubt you'd try to do it one at a time. And if that's true, then you would probably be better off sending them to one of the consignment venues raw and let them get the coins graded - probably at a significantly lower cost to you. At the very least, it would not be an immediate out of pocket expense to you, but an expense deducted from the total once the sale is completed.

10. Rick Stewart

Rick Stewart New Member

Gentlemen, I now use ANACS at $8.00 for 100 or more coins Pick and choose the better grades and then send them to NGC (The 2 slabs look fine together) I find ANACS are the Best for Buffalos, Dollars, Gold, and Really old World coins NGC gets everything else except Moderns 65 to date at PCGS. Hope this helps.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

You might as well put them in Coin World DIY slabs. Save for esoteric varieties or when authenticity could seriously be doubted, ANACS is a waste of money IMHO.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Unless there's been a change dealer and collector bulk pricing is different. Collector bulk is just a standard $12 a coin for what meets the grade with some restrictions on what percentage of the submission needs to grade

Casman likes this.
  13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

PMG Submission: I have probably 50-75 pristine bills (mostly older SCs, $1, and $5) that are worthy of submitting to PMG based on quality but who knows based on their FMV. About 240 notes in total, but lots of the others are probably XF, Fine, and maybe even a few rated Good.

How/why do people get less-valued paper (or coins) graded ? It seems idiotic to spend $15-$20 to get a grade on something that might be worth only $2-$5 and might take a grader about 45 seconds to proces.

Even my Tier 1/pristine bills....they MIGHT turn out to be worth a few thousand dollars IF I score a few 67-69's....but if not....I'm out $1,000 or more just for grading. :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted