Buffalo nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Oct 27, 2015.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

I'm a Morgan guy, but have some interest in Indian head nickels (don't know why they call them nickel when they are 75% copper). Not looking for MS coins, just clean and readable...any suggestions where I should start?
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Coin

Mr. Coin Member

I think they are best collected in the VF range, unless you want to dedicate big dollars to the project. Condition rarity pushes many of the S mintmarks into the four-figure range.

4. fish4uinmd

Many thanks, do you collect them? any favorite dealers??

5. Mr. Coin

Mr. Coin Member

I have the world's strangest complete set of Buffalos. I bought most of the common ones as a boy in VG with money I earned mowing lawns. Then I took a lengthy break to grow up. I bought most of the keys in much better condition. At some point I'll go back to upgrade. Biggest thing I'll tell you is strike quality is critically important.

No particular favorite dealers for Buffalos.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  6. fish4uinmd

Thanks again, I am already finding "S" mm's at inflated prices...I started a database of sorts for the goofy 3 legged 1937D, keeping track of both raw and slabbed and the prices are all over the place. Went to a recent show in Fredericksburg, VA and held a $70K piece in my hand...asked the guy if he would take 69K, then chuckled!

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Are you coming up to Timonium show this Sunday ?
    I'll show you who has some buffalo's for sale. I'll be working the door at Ralph & Roses show.

8. fish4uinmd

Didn't plan to, but maybe I will. Thanks.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They call them nickels for the value, not for the metal content. o_O

10. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

So then, I guess half dimes were called nickels too? ;) I think that they were called "nickel" for the metal content. The constables already had the patent on "coppers".

jj00 and Paddy54 like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

From the stories my grandfather told me, half dimes were called just that, half dimes. And a quarter was called 2 bites. He lived to a ripe old age and we was a child during the civil war. I'll take his word for it.

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The first nickel was a 1866 shield nickel called a nickel not because of the denomination but because it was struck in nickel .250 grams of nickel and .750 grams of copper. A total weight of 5 grams. It was made of the same composition of the nickel 3 cent piece . Not to be confused with the 3 cent silver coin.
    If you Google this you'll find out why nickel was used. Or you can do a search here and read my write up on shield nickels. And I'll give you 3 guesses why nickel was introduced in to our coinage .

derkerlegand likes this.
  13. I have always loved The Buffalo nickels since I was a kid . The no date types were in our change all of the time, I wish that I would have been a serious collector back then. I am now collecting the high grade one's for my collection. Better late than never I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted