Buffalo Nickel and Washington Quarter Sets

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Randy Abercrombie, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

A retired friend of mine is liquidating his collection and asked if I would be interested. I would like to add his Buffalo nickel set (includes a slabbed three legged). Most of the other nickels are average circulated as I recall.... His other set that I helped him assemble is a complete 1932-1964 quarter set that is average circulated..... Anyone have a handle on a value range of these two sets? before I start wheeling & dealing with him?

BuffaloHunter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It really depends on the grade of the three leg and if there are any other majors in the set. IE type 1 1913's and what grade?
    Was the guy just a straight forward date and MM. Or did he collect any RPM's or doubled dies?

4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

The slabbed three legger alone would be worth a shot at it for the nickel set. Any idea what the grade is on the slab and which TPG?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Yeah... I know I am armed with little of any valuable information. He used to be my coin collecting buddy and life sent us down different paths some years back..... I just cannot remember the particulars on his set. I know that one day this week he is going to walk into my office with the set and give me a number..... And having not been studying those sets, I just have no idea where to begin value-wise. And there sure won't be any time to do any studying with Christmas two weeks away....

Inspector43 and BuffaloHunter like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Randy, don’t cut yourself short as it’s 18 days until Christmas, not 2 weeks. Lol, they condition of the 3 leg Buffalo is most important and probably worth more than the entire set of Buffalos. As for the Quarters, they have silver so you can roughly figure the price based on that.

7. BuffaloHunter

Is the buffalo nickel set complete, or are there holes? That's going to be the determining factor, really. If the set has key dates/MM's, then obviously the price goes up.

8. Randy Abercrombie

We were running buddies back when he completed that set late 1990's. We celebrated the completion of the deal. He is as OCD as I am with coins... No way he has pulled anything out of that set so yeah, it is complete.

BuffaloHunter likes this.
  9. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You lost me at running.....

10. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

Usually, I would need some time to look at the sets and narrow down what the average circulated coin in the sets look like. Since you have limited time, may I suggest looking at Numismedia. I might be wrong but at least it shows all the washington quarters and buffalo nickels in the same series. It might give you an idea of a price that is fair. Regards.

11. charley

Finished the math:

1) Assumptions- Buffalo Set, no other varieties except 3-Legged. Av. VF20.

I peg the wholesale @ $2,400.00 presently.

2) Assumptions-Qtr. Set- no varieties, Av. VF20

I peg the wholesale @ $630.00 presently.

12. BuffaloHunter

For the complete 64 coin collection, in average circulated, you can find vendors online that are trying to sell them for around a thousand bucks. Assuming there are no acid dated coins in the mix, I'd be a player at around the $700 mark. As stated already, depending on the grade, the 3-legged might be worth that alone!

13. charley

For a Sight-Seen verified VF 20 Set no varieties except the 3'Legged, I will pay you $750.00 without Set limit.

The $700 is an OK amount for a Sight-Seen G4 Set, though.

14. Randy Abercrombie

Gentlemen.... That is incredibly helpful and I cannot thank you enough.

15. charley

You are welcome, and that is just the kind of guy I am. No TY required.

I have no doubt that Mr. BuffaloHunter feels the same. Over many years and a few different platforms, there has been condition/value differences between us, but the one overriding statement to be made is he knows his Buffalos, especially in AU/MS Grades.

It is also worth noting that he is correct concerning the value of an average Circulated Set (without varieties except the 3-Legged), but the dirty little hidden nuance by the internet Sharks and Dealers, is that G4-6 is considered average circulated for this Series.

16. BuffaloHunter

Charley, you are a hoot. Here in CT and over on PL, I enjoy reading your posts.

Randy Abercrombie and charley like this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

ZZZZZZZ

Randy Abercrombie and charley like this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

My buddy just came by. As it stands I purchased the quarter collection below and he is going to bring a full V-nickel collection that I am buying from him. Another completed average grade set that includes a very well done counterfeit 1913...... I took a quick photo of the slab buffalo's that I thought @BuffaloHunter might want to see. His buffalo book dates to the 1950's when his mother began the collection and the folder is cool on it's own. But I suggested he get an appraisal on the buffalo set before we do any wheeling & dealing. But I thought @BuffaloHunter and @Pickin and Grinin may want to see the cream of the buffalo crop.

wash1.jpg wash2.jpg buff.jpg

19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

lol

charley likes this.
  20. BuffaloHunter

Please take my initial assessment and throw it straight out the window.

Wow. If the booked bisons are on par with the slabbed examples, that is one fine collection!

You steered him well with the appraisal advice.

21. Randy Abercrombie

Actually the booked bisons are truly average circulated.

Draft saved Draft deleted