WTS: Budget silver denarius of Septimius Severus circa 208 A.D. - $35

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by red_spork, Jul 5, 2016.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

For your consideration, a silver denarius of the Roman emperor Septimius Severus with Jupiter hurling a thunderbolt on the reverse. I've included both my picture(top) and the original seller's photo.

Septimius Severus came to power in 193 A.D., aka the "Year of the Five Emperors", a chaotic period of civil wars that followed the assassination of the emperor Commodus(you might remember him from Gladiator, not that that's the best historical source). Septimius Severus eventually came out on top, founding the Severan dynasty who were to rule Rome for over 40 years, until the death of Alexander Severus in 235 A.D.

I'm asking $35 + shipping($3 US for USPS first class in a bubble mailer, PM me for international rates). Payment by Google Wallet, PayPal F&F or PayPal G&S+3%. Please note, the coin does have a crack which you can see on the obverse and reverse. I don't think it's at risk of breaking from normal handling however, as I've handled it plenty of times in about a year and a half that it's been in my colletion.

sseveruscombined.jpg
    AegeanNumismatics-SeptimiusSeverusDenarius.jpg

Septimius Severus Denarius. 208 AD. SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right / P M TR P X-VI COS III P P, Jupiter standing facing, head turned right, holding thunderbolt in right hand, sceptre in left, cloak wrapped around waist. RSC 502. RIC 216V