budget AE indo-greeks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Sep 25, 2014.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for the early info, THC (yes, I thought that something was awry, due to the different dates associated with Demetrios I examples ... but I assumed that one coin was merely an "alive" version and the other was minted after the dude had died) ... again, thanks for the valuable info

=> Seleukid King Demetrios I is "NOT" the same as Bactrian King Demetrios I

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Indo-Greek, Indo-Scythian, and Kushan coins are indeed very much related as far as i am concerned. (Though academic historians may disagree). The main reason is these coins originate from the same region in a fairly narrow time frame.
    History in (very) short: The Skythians lived in Sogdiana. They were forced out of there into Bactria and more southern because the Yuezhi tribes migrated westwards from the eastern parts of central asia/china.
    The Skythians did not wipe out the Indo-Greek but partly made alliances with local rulers and more or less blended in in government. The design of the coinage remained based on the Indo-greek prototypes.
    However, the Indo-scythian rule was only short lived, as the Yuezhi moved on and also took over government in indo-greek territory. The united Yuezhi tribes under a single ruler formed the basis of the Kushan dynasty. This again partly continued existing coinage practices in the regions they conquered.
    To illustrate, here again my specimen of Kujula Kadphises. But now including the other side of the coin. For that they just took the portrait and legend of earlier Indo-greek king Hermaios (name in Greek below bust), who had already died decades before.
    Kujula2web.jpg

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

awesome info, THC => thank you very much for your Coles-Notes history lesson (I appreciate your help and coinmanship) ... ummm, perhaps they're called Cliff Notes in the States? (no idea what Coles-Notes would be called in Amsterdam?)

=> thanks again

Cheers, my friend

emoticon cheers too.gif

5. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Now i had to look that one up !
    In Amsterdam this would probably be called "Leg es effe vlug uit, en dan moe je nie fan die dure woorde gebruike, bijgoochem !" (Google translate will not help you understanding this)

stevex6 likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

yah, you're correct ... I guess it loses a bit in translation, eh?

=> have a great Saturday, THC

Draft saved Draft deleted