BU 1911 Cleaned or Not?!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by toned_morgan, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it's not a $50 coin, it's not a $90 coin.
    Without the rim hit, an MS-63 Red 1911 would high/retail for $50.
    This could be better than that 64 or 65 but the chunk on the rim kills it.
    The fact that your coin is not slabbed, we don't know if it would grade MS or not.

bruthajoe and toned_morgan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

It was an auction, so it could have gone higher. Also I'm looking at other coins in the same condition and I always want to make it a couple dollars less than the other coins so that people go for mine. Basically, there are other BU 1911 wheat pennies that are up for sale at much higher prices than mine.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

It's still wrong. It's not as wrong, but it's still wrong. It probably wouldn't be hard for someone to find a slabbed MS64BN example for less than $70 or a MS62RD for less than $60.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hell no. Don't know about dipped but sticking great non-cleaned coin. IMO ONLY

6. Cheech9712

I wouldn't go that far.

7. Cheech9712

Your a tad late.

8. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

That’s advice he can use in the future, I’m generous like that.

Heavymetal likes this.
  9. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Key word is except. If there is ANY wear the coin is not uncirculated.

I have mentioned before learning how to grade before diving into what seems like the dealer realm of numismatics. Buying low and selling high works for some but buying high and selling higher should never work.

Someone took advantage of you by selling to an inexperienced buyer. Then you turn around and sell that same problem coin for higher; you are taking advantage of another inexperienced buyer. It’s a recipe for disaster and could be what pushes you or the next person away from the hobby.

10. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I didn't exactly mean wear. You know how some BU wheats from the 50's have a sort of worn die which makes it have less detail. That's what I meant. The detail in the beard isn't quite all there probably because the die was worn when the coin was struck.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

I agree 100 percent

12. Lembeck13

Lembeck13 Active Member

I find Fairview's grading infuriating yet humbling. Everytime, at first glance, I think the offered cent is a pristine beauty, he slaps a "Details" qualifier on it. When he doesn't, I start bidding...

13. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I had bought one very similar. It came in a Manila envelope in which it was stored. It proceeded to tone. I am unhappy and have been led to believe by members to acetone dip all your coins upon arrival to remove any contamination and then I like to zip bag them in food grade packaging.

Attached Files:

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The significant rim nicks on the obverse would have made the coin a non starter for me. Stuff like that bugs me and takes the joy out of owning it.

15. bruthajoe

Wouldn't you expect some bag marks on a circulated coin? I understand the rim is suspicious. But why only the rim?

16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

In fact, most circulated coins don't have rim issues. That's been my experience over 60 + years of collecting.

17. bruthajoe

True

Draft saved Draft deleted