BST Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Oldhoopster, Apr 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I would like to consolidate my collection and sell some of it off to reach a more manageable size. I haven't sold on ebay in years since they went to the buyer has all the control and sellers have a higher risk of being scammed. In addition, I had some PayPal hack issues and haven't used that platform in a long time

Back in the time of the dinosaurs before the internet, I used to run classified ads in the numismatic publications, mail bids, and fixed price lists. These were always check or money order with checks requiring time to clear for unknown buyers. I was careful and never had an issue with bad checks

What are your thoughts about losing potential sales If I offered coins on BST but only take checks?

Thanks

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

as with any payment type there are risks involved, taking just checks could narrow your customer base down and not get much sales and the risk of a fake check or hijacked account also is a risk

as for me personally i do what many real world stores do give their customers more choices on how to pay for the goods they want and not limit them to one type of payment, tends to make people happy if they have choices

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I’ve sold a little on BST and was willing to accept either check or PayPal. For me it was about half and half... I think the biggest determining factor about whether you will make a sale is your price and not so much your payment method. If you offer a fair price and it isn’t a niche item you have a decent chance of selling it here.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Have you used the BST here on CT?

6. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

If someone wants what you have they will comply with your terms.

Back in the day Postal Money Orders were my favorite from of payment.
    Very easy to acquire and no waiting for checks to clear. ;)

Spark1951 and imrich like this.
  7. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Just speaking from a legal security position, your choice and checks are what I've used, and the reason isn't obvious to most.

These payments require transmission through the postal system which has very severe penalties for postal fraud, as a fraudulent claim, or a bad payment.

There is virtually no recourse for fraud using other payment options.

I've been had in a significant fashion on BST here, but that was in the past, before Dougs' warning, which limits site Liability.

There are many good buyers/sellers in this venue, but the anonymity of the internet allows appreciable fraud on internet transactions.

From my recent experiences, Seller fraud on eBay is severe, with seemingly no avenue for redress.

That is because of the 30 day automatic case closure.

Since eliminating eBay telephone contact, it seems you can never contact an employee.

Their supposedly investigative time requirement with a required response from a possible foreign seller can consume the 30 days, as I've repeatedly seen.

Their limited list of report reasons doesn't allow for legitimate fraud claims, usually from a fraudulent title or a deep hidden statement in their ad.

JMHO

green18 likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Thanks for the input. I did the bulk of my selling in the pre-order internet days so I am familiar with the checks and money order system

I guess the key is to price it right. ill eventually get around to fixing the PayPal

Thanks

9. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

How about a table at a local coin show or using Great Collections?

10. Oldhoopster

Ive been contemplating the local show option. I recently moved and want to build some local contacts to share a table to start.

Most of the stuff I want move initially is a little more eclectic edited. Not GC material, nor of interest to most dealers, but may interest members here. Im in the process of sorting, consolidating, and labeling

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2022
    Dynoking likes this.
  11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Got it.
    Good luck with the tedious process of sorting, consolidating, and labeling. Add in cataloging and you have a full time job.
    Best,
    Richard

Oldhoopster likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Paypal and EBay are no longer in a partnership. If someone buys your item through paypal the payment no longer goes to your PayPal account. It has to go directly to your bank account. Process sucks and I hate it.

13. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Awaiting your postings.

I only took PayPal for a while, but after my most recent sale I got 2 people paying with money orders, which I am now keen to accept.

Correct

I avoid eBay now. I have much better luck selling here to people I know.

paddyman98, imrich and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I no longer use pay pal and just started to use ebay again. Both as the op has stated managed to PO a lot of us dinosaurs.
    I recall when they made you give them everything at pay pal and ebay. So if they didn't have your SS# or linked t a bank account...they would hold your payment for as much as 4 months before you could ask for your money.

My suggestion set up at small coin shows...a table or a tabled shared with another is less costly than all ebays BS fees and rules...that only apply to their benfits.

Dynoking likes this.
  15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I've never sold any of my collection, so have nothing to offer, edited

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2022
    Paddy54 likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1

17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm a buyer never a seller. I learned my lesson many years ago. Even as a buyer there are still issues to watch out for, I try to be fair but cautious. Works for me. Good luck.

18. Oldhoopster

It will be at least a few weeks until I have anything ready. I was just trying to get some opinions, and you guys have been helpful. Want to make sure I stay within the rules as one of my posts listing was already edited (sorry to the mustached man in the hat)

19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I use PayPal for my purchases on ebay. Recently, I purchased a Morgan and paid with PayPal. The money went through, but after waiting 3 weeks, I contacted ebay. I had been promised delivery on the 28th and as of the 30th, no coin. I got my money back through PayPal, but the seller asked that no response be made. The seller had several hundred thousand sales, but when I checked his record for the last couple of months, he had quite a few negatives. I honored his request and did not enter any response. I won't buy from him again.

20. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Funny,that's exactly what I'm dealing with coin shipped on the 19th no info since.Said it would arrive by the 28th but no update yet I'm not giving up.

21. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Expecting deliveries to match eBays'/manufacturers' statements, especially OUS, I believe is unrealistic.

Many of my shipments, especially from China, are weeks minimally delayed, for numerous reasons.

I know that we are spoiled, but the U.S. news has occasionally covered the problems with foreign ships being kept away from ports for a significant time period.

Another problem is the shipping containers aren't being emptied/returned.

The truckers/employees strikes haven't helped matters.

It's believed things will not improve soon, and it's only because some have circumvented normal shipping procedures to our country, that we have a better life.

JMHO

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    potty dollar 1878 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted