Featured BRVTVS Denarius: Libertas for the Republic

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Sep 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great write up and photo's. Rome is a magical place. I've shown a few of my photos of my trip to Rome before. Love to go again one day.
    0.6_2.png

0.16.png

And here's the other Brutus. Not as famous, but played a big part nevertheless, so he can't be left out of the reunion!
    0.3.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks for the kind words Limes and great coins. I especially like your example of Decimus Brutus Albinus. It seems as if he should be just as famous as his cousin since he was the one who supposedly persuaded Caesar to attend that meeting of the senate.

Thanks for sharing!

...and thanks everyone else who shared their coins in this thread as well. I was excited to get to share this coin on the forum and I’ve enjoyed seeing everyone’s relevant examples!

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I cannot resist adding this quinarius with Concordia from Octavian & Mark Antony - I like the graffiti on the reverse with dagger cutting off at the wrist one of the clasped hands. The style of the dagger looked familiar from a coin of Brutus:
    upload_2021-9-23_21-27-27.png

upload_2021-9-23_21-21-30.png
    The Triumvirs, Octavian and Mark Antony, late 39 BC, AR Quinarius (12mm, 1.84g, 12h), military mint traveling with Octavian in Gaul
    Obv: III•VIR• R•P•C, veiled and diademed head of Concordia right
    Rev: M•ANTON C•CAESAR, lasped right hands holding caduceus
    Ref: Crawford 529/4b (no IMP in reverse legend) ; King 81
    Note: Coins of the Second Triumvirate

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That is a wonderful coin! We know that each type was meant as a message to the populous but coins like this one really demonstrate the degree to which the people using these coins really understood the message and recognized when the propaganda was out of date!

Sulla80 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted