Bruttium, the Bretti

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JBGood, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You're
    welcome, any day

Q

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Where's the countermark ja?

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Sorry, not a countermark - it was agreed at FORVM to be a grafitto. See this thread.

5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Got it.... I couldn't see it at first. Well embedded, certainly looks contemporary.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A sweet coin!

7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I have a bronze from Rhegion:

rhegion bronze 1.jpg

And this Tetradrachm, one of my favorite coins. I found this at the FUN show in 1999, the first time I went with my wife. We blew our whole coin budget on this one and have never regretted it. :)

rhegion tet 1.jpg

The high relief lion head is what makes this so satisfying to hold and admire in person. The reverse on mine is weak and scratched but it does not matter to me.

John

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Theodosius => now there are two sweeties that make me coin-horny!! (awesome coins!!)

=> man, they'd both look awesome next to my lion skin example!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Theodosius likes this.
  9. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

It would be a cool pride of lions!

The bronzes are not too pricey when you can find them. I was lucky to get the tetradrachm at price I could afford.

stevex6 likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Super coins! Haven't we all had to make that decision though - to buy one side of a coin in spite of the other!

TIF likes this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I've had this for a few weeks now, but only just gotten down to photographing it. One of my favorite purchases so far this year.

upload_2016-4-24_15-29-39.png
    BRUTTIUM, Kaulonia
    Circa 475-425 BC
    AR Nomos
    7.97g, 21.8mm
    SNG ANS 180; Noe, Caulonia 93; HN Italy 2046
    O: KAVΛ, Apollo, naked, advancing right, holding a branch in uplifted right hand; small messenger-daimon running left on Apollo's outstretched left arm; stag standing right, head turned back.
    R: KAVΛ (retrograde), Stag standing right; laurel branch to right.

Ajax, Cucumbor, Johndakerftw and 10 others like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

that's awesome => wow Z, that's a total winner!! (congrats on scoring the double-stagger!!)

zumbly likes this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks, Steve. Been been chasing one of these for awhile now and was pleased to nab this example.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Z-- fantastic coin!

zumbly likes this.
  15. Georgi

Georgi New Member

Do you have more information about the meaning of the symbols on that coin? -because if you have i can give you information about the same symbols on the coin as i use the origin of the Latin words

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Welcome @Georgie. I just purchased an example of this coin. Please let us know what info you have. It may save me some research or at least provide a starting place.

17. Georgi

Georgi New Member

Sir, That coin give us so much information about that community.The coin is Great.
    It's looks like that you're a good connoisseur and probably you can take a view if you decide.According to the Greek that community "Brettioi"as well as in Latin "Brutti" come from Sabine kingdom in Sparta.The meaning of the words "Brettioi" and "Brutti" in my original sin language who doesn't exist officially as well as my ethnicity mean "buruu-d-oi"-a belt made of sheep wool.Other communities who they're Neighbors to that community were given the name of the community to show the meaning of the belt and the character of the same community.We can take a look on the coin side and we see a knife in the belt.That character was typically for Sabine.Other information on the coin describe on location which they lived.On the left side of the coin their is an image which cannot to be determined but creator of the coin has judged this and added an inscription "LVALERI / FLACCI" which does mean a place on a slope where a beet is grown.On the right side of the coin is visible and we see grain.What is described on the right hand of woman it's not a spear it is a sheep rod.Me and my father want to say it as well as determine that the Latin language is misunderstood completely and also in most cases is misinterpreted by The Greeks.We would be more convincing but we don't have a possibility.

Alegandron and Bing like this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow @Georgie ! That is great information and very interesting! Thank you. Welcome to the Ancients forum of Coin Talk!

Draft saved Draft deleted