Brutally honest opinion required UPDATE

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by expat, Apr 7, 2022.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I have been offered an 1883-CC Vam5 Morgan dollar. It is in the original GSA holder and packaging with COA. The price would be 250 Euros ($270), which from what I see on PCGS prices would equate to around MS 61 prices. The two sellers photos that I have show a marked obv and a decent rev. An opinion on if it worth it is welcome. As I already have two '83cc GSA's it is not something I will be disappointed to miss out on.
    Sellers images
    20220407_183544 (2).jpg 20220407_183651 (2).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have two of the GSA dollars. You couldn't pry them out of me for any price as my grandad gave them to me back in the day..... But I do think that is a very fair price. Not a steal, but a very fair number. I wish the obverse was as nice as the reverse, but it is still a nice coin. I believe you are being offered a very fair deal and could probably turn around and put it on Ebay and pick up a few dollars on the deal if you were inclined to do such a thing.

4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Its a shame that coin didn't get any love. Anyway a major wholesaler is paying $300 for that year MM in OGP with COA. It is your call if you want a '83 CC in MS 61.

5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Why haven't you paid for it, yet? I would have.

6. expat

Yes, the two I inherited are going nowhere while I am still here. Thanks for your opinion

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Tad baggy (obverse) by the photos, but I have a feeling the coin will look better in hand.

Reverse is lovely..........pull the trigger. :)

Insider, expat and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

Good price. ;)

Insider and expat like this.
  9. green18

No way is that coin is a '61.........

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Good price point...and deal imho.... does it come with all om packaging?
    If not let me know I'll be glad to send you a orginal government box. I have a few extras.....
    Just pm me and let me know...

As for the purchase I would pull the trigger if I were in need of the specimen.

Insider, expat and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I agree. IMO, Commercial MS-62 ADL. The luster of CC dollars often outweighs the contact mark part of the grading equation.

green18 likes this.
  12. expat

Thanks for the offer. I e-mailed him about 30 mins ago to say I was interested. He is actually coming to our office on Saturday morning with the coin so I can see it in hand. He also included a pic of how it looks in the GSA packaging.
    20220407_201818 (2).jpg

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

No worries my friend...glad you pulled the trigger.

Randy Abercrombie and expat like this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

And just an FYI.... That government packaging is a big plus. Wish I would have known that when I was a kid and trashed my government packaging. Thanks to @One Mans Trash, mine once again have their OGP....

expat likes this.
  15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Price sounds fair in today's market.

expat likes this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

With the documentation, I'd go for it, but as eye-appeal goes, if it were raw, I'd pass.

Cheech9712 and expat like this.
  17. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I happen to have 3 of them. Two graded. I'd agree that this one is a 61, maybe on a very good day maybe a 62, but for my taste, she's a bit baggy. The price however is fair if you really want it.

18. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't need one, either. I got mine in a set a while back. I have an 1882CC/1883CC/1884CC in an NGC set. They are all graded MS65. I probably paid too much for them, but I thought it was neat to have those 3 in a set. ($1,500, I had only been collecting for a year.)

19. Millard

Millard Coindog

it has been my (limited) experience that coins that look like that in photos are typically due to contrast and the angle at which the photo was taken, and they look much better in-hand. And if this one doesn't I'd still buy it.

Marsden, -jeffB, Scott J and 3 others like this.
  20. green18

Précisément, mon ami........:)

21. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Just no eye appeal on that coin for me.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted