Brunswick Wolfenbuttel 4M 1735

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Joedelafield, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Joedelafield

Joedelafield New Member

This is a "Mule" coin (wrong front and back) labeled rare in the Krause Catalog of German coins. I had it certified and it looks like the only one. Has anyone every seen one for sale as I'm trying to determine the value and rarity. Thanks much

Attached Files:

• NGC.jpg
      NGC.jpg
      File size:
      323.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin but it would be tough to put a value on it. If it was a Thaler it would probably be a minimum of a couple of thousand dollars. I don't put much stock in it being the only graded one. I own a number of German States coins that are the only ones graded but they aren't rare. In Europe, most coins are not graded. At least Krause does list it as rare.

4. Joedelafield

Joedelafield New Member

Thanks for the input!

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

"Mules" usually carry a significant premium at least in the US and US coins, I do not know anything about how this Mule was probably created.
    What is the denomination supposed To look like if it weren't a Mule?
    I will have to do some more looking into this coin.
    If you were interested in selling it then I would try to find out which is the best venue, So that it is seen by folks that would appreciate it.
    You said rare, how many specimens is Rare to Krause?

6. Joedelafield

Joedelafield New Member

If it weren’t a mule it would say “George” on the reverse instead of Ferdinand. Rare probably means unknown. More research to do. Thanks. My first time on coin talk. Nice!

7. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

The Krause catalog listing for KM-863 calls the side with the wildman as the reverse. Obverse: Value in 4 lines, date in legend Reverse: Wildman, tree in right hand (die of George II).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  8. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

NGC calls KM#863 - 1735 IAM Rare

They give no value for it online... so I'm guessing it may have a good value. I see none on EBay, either.

9. Joedelafield

Joedelafield New Member

FYI. Krause publications defines their “rare” classification as under 75 or another way of saying they don’t quite know. Thanks to all

Draft saved Draft deleted