Brought the Wife Along

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Histman, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

My wife is not interested in coins one bit. However, she tolerates my involvement and will actually help me look for them, bring my CRH rolls back to the bank for me, and never complains when I spend money on coins. God love her for that. However, I convinced her at Christmas time last year to do a little experiment with me and she agreed to come along for the ride.

Experiment: Use two jugs to collect coins throughout 2019...
    Jars Side by Side.jpg
    One jug would be for coins that were in our pockets at the end of the day as change.
    Household Change.jpg
    One jug would be for any coins we "found." For the purposes of this experiment, "found" means Coinstar, Bank Machines, on the ground, on ledges, etc., anything that was not in a pocket as a result of purchases...
    Found Change.jpg
    So, how did we do?

Change Jug:

Dollar Coins: $2.00
    Half Dollars: $1.00
    Quarters: $121.75
    Dimes: $42.10
    Nickels: $13.20
    Cents: $11.36

Total: $189.41

Found Coins Jug:

Bills: $105.00 ($100.00 & $5.00)
    ***I didn't count this in the total because my wife refused to leave the bills in there. She found them so she said she got to spend them. :(

Quarters: $11.50
    Dimes: $16.30
    Nickels: $2.50
    Cents: $7.14

Total: $39.77 (plus $105.00 in bills)

The coins included: Five (5) Silver -- 3 Roosevelt & 2 Mercury Dimes, Nine (9) Wheat Cents, & Two-Hundred and Six (206) Copper cents.

I also found a whole bunch of foreign coins...
    Foreign Coins.jpg
    And tokens:
    Tokens.jpg

All-in-All, the total of both came out to $229.18 (plus $105.00 :)) Not too bad.

The important part is that my wife enjoyed counting it up and rolling it with me; she will enjoy where we spend it (dinner and some shopping), and is eager to do it all over again. So, I see a crack in the door to her coin interests. It only took 30 years. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Great idea!

Draft saved Draft deleted