Bronze Medals question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Westtexasbound, May 28, 2015.

1. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

Didn't know which forum so I am sorry if this is the wrong place.
    Anyone buy medals from the US Mint.
    I wanted to get the Bronze Medal for the Space Program. It comes in 3 inch and 1.5 inch. Big price difference. $39.95 and $6.95
    Am I wasting money going with the 3 inch? Which ones do you like. I am assuming mass produced medals will have no resale potential in my lifetime so its entirely on what it is like in my hand.
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This is strictly a personal preference. The 3-inch is a bronze replica of the gold version presented to the person honored, if there is one (e.g. Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus). I have never bought a "3", mostly due to well, storage concerns. I have a small number of 1.5ers, when I like the subject. These are now being slabbed by NGC, if that's your thing.

cpm9ball likes this.
  4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Personally i don't think they will ever hold a premium medals are not super collected i mean if you have a really old one that is rare sure but anything made now i don't see being worth more then what you paid for a long time if ever !!

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm with VKB! I have a lot of medals, domestic and foreign, that are 3" or more, and the storage problem can be difficult. I have a complete set of the US Mint presidential medals in 1-1/2" bronze, and they can easily be stored in 2" flips or exact-fit airtites. In any case, buy them just because you like them.

Chris

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

What do John Glenn and the Dalai Lama (big hitter, the Lama) have in common? They are on the last two mint medals I bought. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted