Bronze disease

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jcm, Feb 19, 2019.

1. jcm

jcm Active Member

Hi folks, I have some coins with bronze disease. I've tried mechanical cleaning (wire brush and pick) but it came back on some of them. What has worked for you all with your problem coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

we have a member here who's product i use religiously...its called "Verdi-care"..i highly recommend it.

Kentucky and Justin Lee like this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

New members do not know how to obtain this product (Verdicare - or whatever it is called) - I have been here a year and only heard hints - no contacts..................... so please share publicly....I would assume he would like the business?? But what do I know....???

ominus1 likes this.
  6. ominus1

..he's @BadThad ....he'll hook ya up..sorry about the delaly, i never saw ya hollerin' bout it ^^

7. Clavdivs

I will reach out.. Thank you!! They really should have pinned threads here..but who am I to ask? It isn't happening.

ominus1 likes this.
  8. ominus1

...lead, follow or get out of the way...haha...you could at anytime pmed a reg here and they would have lead you to it..don't be shy, everyone here is always glad to help another collector :)

9. Clavdivs

Probably you are right .. thank you!.. message sent.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    ominus1 likes this.
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Paul M. and Clavdivs like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It seems silly to have to say that we should look at our coins on a regular basis. Once a coin in my possession is suspect of BD, I start a pattern of watching daily for a few days, then weekly for a few weeks followed by monthly for a year. If nothing is seen during that time, all I am out is having to look at my coins.

We hear bronze disease called coin cancer and there will be people who point out (correctly) that this is not a 'disease' or a 'cancer' but the correct actions are really quite similar. Be watchful for changes, treat things that actually need treating rather than taking every pill advertised on TV 'just in case' and avoid medical advice from those who know less about it than you do. Perhaps the biggest similarity to 'cancer' is that we treat 'patients' as being in remission rather than as having been cured. That simply means there may be longer spaces between exams but there will never be a time we stop watching.

Justin Lee and TIF like this.
  12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

As far as I know, sodium sesquicarbonate will work, but it's nasty stuff, and I can't swear to its effectiveness because I've never had to resort to it.

Here's what I recently wrote on another thread in answer to the same question as yours:

Removing bronze disease can be done easily and inexpensively. First, use something pointy and soft, like a toothpick or locust thorn, to remove all the powdery deposits you can. Then buy a gallon of distilled water (DW). Soak the coin in around 1 to 1 1/2 cups of distilled water for a couple of days, remove the coin, blot dry and then place it back to soak again in fresh DW. Repeat this process for somewhere between 2 weeks to a month. The longer you do this, the better your chances of getting it all out the first time.

At this point, some people bake the coin at around 200 degree Fahrenheit for an hour or so to drive out all the moisture, but I just let it air dry. Let the coin sit out someplace where you will see it often for about 3 months or so to make sure that the bronze disease does not return before placing it in a holder and adding it to your collection.

About 90% of the coins I've treated this way have been cured after one of these treatments. A few coins needed a second treatment of the exact same process. I've never had a coin that needed a third treatment.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Google wizardcoinsupply.com

Justin Lee likes this.
  14. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

That's where I got it, the Verdicare. And that's what I use after I manually clean the infection, then regularly check it.

15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Verdicare is designed to remove verdigris from coins. I'm not sure it's a cure for bronze disease, though. Verdigris, which is also bluish-green, is not the same thing as bronze disease.

Draft saved Draft deleted