Bronze disease help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Aug 31, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I have a well-preserved Arab-Byzantine bronze with a nice red sand patina on it. Unfortunately it turns out it has bronze disease on parts of the edge (also a couple of small spots on the far side of the reverse that I somehow missed when I saw the listing). So now I would like to try to remove it all and keep it off while disturbing as little of the sand patina as possible. Anyone have any ideas on how I should go about doing this? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

If the BD isn't extensive, try mechanical debridement with a pick or brush and apply Verdicare; observe frequently after treatment.

ValiantKnight and medoraman like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Also, regarding that "red sand patina"... be sure that it isn't applied wax or something. There are a few dealers whose entire inventories have the same orange/yellow/red "patina"-- obviously something applied to the coins. I'd soak that coin in acetone, alcohol, and mineral spirits (one at a time) to see if the patina soaks off. If it is a true patina, none of those soaks should disturb it (don't rub them in the fluid, just soak).

ValiantKnight likes this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what TIF said, i recently used that techniqe on this coin...note the little patch at the bottom.

[​IMG]

it's now being watched.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted