Broken Die

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Why on earth did I pay $35 for this coin? I'm a sucker for odd objects. And the seller had no idea what was so unusual about this, it was just priced as a typical Licinius AE3. To me this is a $25 coin tops, but as I say, I am a sucker for weird stuff. It was struck with a broken die, resulting in what you can see in the images. Very cool for me, uber boring for others. I could be wrong, it may not be a broken die but some other error, but I think so, if one can see it in person...

Feel free to show your mint errors or other broken dies.

4.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The obverse of this one has die damage affecting Serapis' modius and Gordian's name in the legend. It's present on numerous coins struck with this die.

Gordian III and Serapis Dionysopolis Hygeia.jpg

See, for example the Wildwinds specimen:

Gordian III and Serapis Dionysopolis Hygeia Varbanov.jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice catch @Ken Dorney ! Looks like The Emperor must have gotten bad wine, and is blowing chow.

Here are a couple die breaks:

20-Asses: (Similar to a Roman AR Heavy Denarius / Didrachm)
    [​IMG]
    Etruria, Populonia
    3rd Century BC
    Silver 20-Asses
    8.1g, ovoid 16.6mm x 20mm
    Obv: Facing head of Metus, hair bound with a diadem, X:X below
    Rev: blank
    Sambon 47; HN Italy 152

10-Asses: (Similar to a Roman AR Denarius)
    [​IMG]
    Etruria Populonia
    AR 10 Asses 20mm 4.21g
    211-206 BC
    Obv: Male Hd
    Rev: Blank
    die break

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My Claudius As had a cracked die strike it. You can see the crack right behind the bust of the emperor.

41943.jpg

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Perhaps the OP looks different in hand, but in the photo the coin looks like it has a piece of corrosion adhered to it, as if it had been buried next to another coin, perhaps a billon antoninianus that had a lot of material leach out from it by the soil.

But you have the coin in front of you, and I don't, so you can probably interpret its history better than I can.

TIF and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  8. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

I would never have thought of a broken die, it just looks like something is stuck to it.
    My eye was focusing on the flan crack that runs under the border but not through it, not sure why but that is what I find unusual about the OP coin.

9. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

That’s what I was thinking.

10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Oh crud... Now that someone had pointed out the obvious, I feel pretty foolish. It does indeed look like an adhesion to the surface rather than a die break. I guess sometimes we see what we want rather than reality. Ah well. Its still a nice topic for a thread.

Pellinore and Roman Collector like this.
  11. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Nice and interesting topic whatsoever. Here's my coin of Gratian that I had posted long time ago. There's a double-head of the Emperor. A double strike? Usually there's a crack between the "Two" heads. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DoubleHead  Gratian.JPG

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted