British Penny with interesting stamp.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by BostonMike, Mar 21, 2015.

1. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Cleared out a relatives house and found a tin full of old coins. Among the group was this coin.

I'd like it except for the stamp.

What's interesting is that it looks like some wear occurred after the stamp on Victoria

Any theories?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426980015.403619.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426980030.989464.jpg

coinman1234 and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Possibly a good luck piece carried by someone in a far away conflict? American & British pilots stamped their coins during the wars (not at this date) and carried them in case their dog tags were lost so the body might still be identified. I've seen many that have the obverse worn after the stamp, must have been a heads up good luck omen.

BRandM, jlesliec and green18 like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bruce (BRandM) would love this piece.......

BRandM likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This one might have been carried by a soldier or cowboy and notched for how many k...s they made. Certainly some interesting possibilities out there. cs051.jpg

jlesliec and green18 like this.
  6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Cool counterstamp, made outside the mint. I hope to get one sometime.

7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I like your stamp Mike. The "PC" was probably added when the coin was nearly new. The "wear" on the top of the initials on the obverse are actually the result of a weak strike. It looks as though the punches weren't held completely vertical when they were struck. The top is weak, but the bottom parts of the letters are much stronger. The initials on the reverse are evenly applied. You may not have noticed, but the upper curve of the "C" isn't a true arc. It wavers just a bit above the serif. it would either be from poor workmanship or done with a purpose. I have two counterstamps that have a similar look, except mine are much more obvious. A neat stamp on a nice old Victoria. Thanks for posting it.

Bruce

8. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Thanks Bruce.

Shortly after my post I searched and found a thread on Counterstamps. So now I have a different appreciation for this coin and like it!

Thanks everyone!

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

These are very different and unique. You dont see them everyday so you should be proud. I know I would. <thumbs up>

Draft saved Draft deleted