British coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Norman Asis, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Norman Asis

Norman Asis Active Member

I just measured diameter, didn't even make it to 39mm.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That works too. Measure mine on the screen and compare.

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You can tell the difference by weight and diameter (penny is 28 ish grams and 2 pence about 56 grams (a huge chunk of metal))

But from pictures alone you can tell the difference as the 1d has only two waves under Britannia while the 2d has three

Sp3777-1797b.jpg

Sp3776-1797b.jpg

Q

PS : should you have paid a bit too much (which I'm not sure of), it's by a few bucks, and within one week you will have forgotten that while the coins and the pleasure to own them, hold them and study them will still be there

Oldhoopster and Kentucky like this.
  5. Kentucky

As an interesting point, the "one-ounce" coin weighs 31 g and the "two-ounce" coin weighs 62 g. Wonder why they used Troy ounces instead of Av. ounces. I think copper is weighed in Av. ounces today.

6. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

How much do you sell them for? I have always wanted one but I have no idea what a good price to pay would be.

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Norman Asis I agree with Cucumbor. At most, maybe you paid a few bucks more, but there are a few interesting coins. I like the Geo III coins even if they area little worn. The 1854 Upper Canada Token isn't rare but in decent condition. The 1912 Geo V is also in nice condition but it's common as well.

IMO, if you do a little research and learn something about them, then it was money well spent. Years ago, I overpaid for a Bank of Upper Canada Token (I think I paid about $2 when you could find them in junk boxes for a quarter). However, I took some time to learn about them and now I have nice collection about 100+ different varieties and love cherry picking better types at shows.

Cucumbor likes this.
  9. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

For beginning collectors - before they specialize - some will try to collect one coin from each country where advanced collectors will try to get one coin of each type. I have a modified country collection. I attempt to get a counterfeit or cheater (holed) coin from each member nation of the UN. Then I also keep the oldest coin I own for each country. Next up is the nastiest dirty or corroded coin from each country. Finally there is a silver coin from each country. Where none exist I substitute with the rarest coin I own or my favorite if none are rare. I designed this to lay out five countries per page in 2x2 sheets but so far they are in metal photographic slide boxes with about 150 coins per case. When you are starting out you can dip in the dealer junk boxes and get four or five coins per dollar. That $25 you spent would get you 100 to 125 coins. Don't expect rarities but there will be lots of UNC moderns. Once you have been through the junk tubs ask to see the better foreign so you can get familiar with them and know them when you see them again. Enjoy.

10. Kentucky

None of which would be as nice as the ones you did get.

11. Norman Asis

Norman Asis Active Member

Thanks for the positive feedbacks and valuable info. My son and my 2 nephews were amazed, especially after I pointed the dates on each coins.
    I recently found a bunch of Australian coins that I brought back from my 2 deployments down under back in 1998 and 2000. Was surprised that most of them are in pretty good condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted