British and Irish Coins for USA Coins

Discussion in 'Trades' started by FitzjamesHorse, Oct 19, 2015.

1. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse New Member

I would not describe myself as a Coin Collector. I am at heart a Stamp Collector who has an interest in Coins (a form of nostalgia perhaps).
    When Britain and Ireland went "decimal" in 1971, I kept and obtained British and Irish "pre-decimal" coins which were similar to the ones I had in my pocket as a child in the 1950s and 1960s.
    Likewise when Ireland went "Euro" in 2002, it suddenly made the coins from 1971-2001 more interesting.
    Circulated versions of most of these coins are cheaply available in market stalls and flea markets and my interest in coins was further developed by my first visit to USA in 2013 and handling cents, nickels, dimes and quarters for the first time. Most circulating USA coins are also available here.
    So...I want to take it to the next level.
    I have 18 of the State Quarters and most dates from mid 1960s for quarters, dimes and nickels. i understand the metal changed around mid 1960s.
    Cents from 1950s onwards are quite common and I even picked up a few "wheat" cents going back to 1920ish.

But taking it to the next level involves Trade.....circulating small value Euro (Irish) coins and circulating small value British coins (as well as circulated earlier coins) for similar USA coins.
    Is there a formula for exchange? Or can it be a win-win non competitive situation which benefits everyone?
    Please let me know.