British 1930 One Penny

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Leon R, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Leon R

Leon R New Member

Hello. For some reason I am not able to post a picture of my coin right now, as I literally just started using this website. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some interesting information about my coin which would be very much appreciated. I will try to post a picture of it later!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leon R

Leon R New Member

Here's my coin!

Attached Files:

jello likes this.
  4. jkpoo

jkpoo New Member

Check out this link, will tell you everything you need to know about British one penny coins.

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/penny.html

Your own personal coin was minted under the reign of King George V. British bronze pennies such as this are very common and are usually worth nothing. However, if you get one of these in Uncirculated condition with a early date they can be worth something. The later noteworthy dates are around the first world war and 1933. In 1933 only 6 or 7 of these coins were struck in the UK as the UK had a large stock of pennies.

Leon R and jello like this.
  5. Leon R

Leon R New Member

Thanks a lot! I am not really an expert (yet) so would you mind explaining to me what Uncirculated means? And my coin's date is 1930, I'm guessing it's not considered early.

6. jkpoo

jkpoo New Member

I am not an expert myself, more an amateur buyer/seller. I will tell you what I know.

Uncirculated means a coin that has never been in circulation (released to public) Most of these coins are very close to perfect condition (may have few slight scuff/bag marks) and are coincidentally worth more.

1930 is not considered an early/special date for most British coins. Even Pre 1900 Pennies in good condition commonly go for only £1 - 5(depending). Pennies are most commonly sold in bulk lots of 100 in mixed condition online for small amounts.

This is not to say that all British Pennies are near worthless. Just checked up on ebay and there is a 1914 Penny in Very Fine condition going for around £35 with 18hrs left.

To summarise, the british penny in most cases is a very common coin. However, as with many other coins, earlier/special dates and higher grades can make the coin quite valuable.

Leon R likes this.
  7. Leon R

Leon R New Member

Well, you definitely sound more expert than me! Thanks again for all the information. My coin is obviously not Uncirculated as it looks pretty dirty and used. I still find it very pretty and I believe it is my oldest coin so I will gladly keep it for myself!

8. jkpoo

jkpoo New Member

No Problem, if you have any other British coins you would like to know about post them here would love to see them

9. Leon R

Leon R New Member

I will go through them soon and make sure to post them on here. In the meantime, if you're interested, I posted a very pretty Charle Magne franc that you can check out.

Draft saved Draft deleted