Britannias, why the high prices ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Johndoe2000$, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Why are the modern Britannia coins so high priced ? Even the recent ones ? I know that they are awesome looking, but are the mintages really that low to warrant the high prices ? I'm just not seeing the justification. Can someone tell me what I'm missing about these coins ?
    Thanks.

John.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have often wondered that too.

4. I think it might be high demand. That and they probably end up in strong hands and not flippers. TC

5. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

actually some of the lower mintages one from the early 2000's I ask why is the price so low.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think I only have one Britannia and was unpleasantly surprised by the low relief.

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I generally buy a variety of national bullion coins. I bought Britannias last year for the first time and thought they were the ugliest of all the ones I bought. I will not buy any more. But I did not notice that they were significantly higher in price.

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Before they went to a higher silver content of .999 and have up the mintages and kept the same design from year to year i believe in 2014 the value of the older ones have gone down from their peak. I still have my collection and last year was the first year that I did not buy one.

9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I just have one, a 2003.
    I got it at auction in 2006 for $16.16. At the time the 2003 was selling on eBay for $35 or so.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

If you're referring to the proofs, it is a combination of lower mintage and higher initial mint prices (not many go to auction as most dealers sell as fixed price listings at the high prices reflective of the original mint premium).

For the bullion coins, the appeal was also the lower mintages and changing designs. However, after 2012, the designs stopped changing, the purity was increased from 0.958 to 0.999, and the mintages increased. The earlier ones still enjoy a premium, but the latest dates are available for less. For example, the 2017 is on sale at Apmex right now for as low as 1.99 over spot.

Here is one of my favorite designs:
    [​IMG]
    2001 (photo courtesy of Apmex)

thedredge, Paddy54 and Tater like this.
  11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'm partial to the 2007 with 2005 as a close second. Sorry don't have a photo

ddddd likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here are some (via Apmex):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thedredge and Tater like this.
  13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Yup them are the ones.

ddddd likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I believe there's several reasons why....not knocking the ASE but it's been the same design since 1986.
    Nothing wrong with its design but I believe collectors like change. Also they want well designed and coins that are more like art work. I collect ASE,kookaburra , and I do have a few Britannia's. I find their design interesting and fresh.
    They are a quality product and mintage's aren't extremely high.
    Let face it how many threads have been generated over the U.S.mint issues with design and quality ?

Tater likes this.
  15. Johndoe2000$

Yes, I was referring to proof, and sets. They are just way high priced when comparing to other bullion related products around the world, from what I've seen. Especially, ASEs, MLs, and even Pandas. Check out any of the anniversary sets for example. 912673335_o.jpg
    912673354_o.jpg

thedredge likes this.
  16. Johndoe2000$

Then, there is the proposed obverse change for next year... donald-trump-bad-hair-photo-1.jpg
    What do you think. ? LOL. ( now how does the Queen look ? )

Draft saved Draft deleted