bringing ancient coins to the US

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Voulgaroktonou, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Dear Online Friends,
    My step-daughter, who lives in the U. K., wants to bring to me several boxes of her deceased father's ancient coins so I can evaluate them for her when she comes to visit her mother and me.
    The last time I returned to the US after visiting the U. K. with coins in hand was Sept. 10, 2001. At that time, I just showed the box of ancient coins I had purchased to the airport people and they let me carry them on the plane. I did not have to show any proof of purchase.
    I imagine there is a little more red tape this time. I would appreciate any advice on how she should proceed.
    I thank any and all in advance.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

She might be better off shipping them, but that involves risk and cost.

Deacon Ray and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  4. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

I assume, based on my non-numismatic interactions with the TSA, et al., that if there are "boxes" of coins being imported into the country there may well be issues. If it was a few that she could put in a pocket, I don't think any eyebrows would be raised. Showing up with a shoe box of ancient coins -- which will ping on any x-ray machine they have -- could lead to questions, and perhaps serious customs issues. I agree with Ken Dorney; it may involve time, risk and expense but shipping is safer. Having one's daughter potentially held in customs for hours while someone figures out what to do, would not be my preference. Having the coins seized by customs thereafter, would make it even worse.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

When were these coins collected? If collected before 2010 or so(I don't have the exact dates) I would look up the US MOUs with Greece, Italy, etc. and simply have her create a sworn statement stating such. A sworn statement is sufficient evidence for importation and I have had multiple restricted types pass through customs just fine with such a form. I always ask auction houses to include it when I buy any sort of restricted types from overseas.

Volodya and Curtisimo like this.
  6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

You came back at just the right time. I wonder if that was the last day anyone had it so easy.

7. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Amen, Valentinian. Amen.

8. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hi @Voulgaroktonou

Here's another way of thinking about it:

When I put myself in a step-father's shoes, something makes me want my step-daughter to avoid schlepping boxes of perhaps valuable coins across the pond. I want to encourage step-daughter to take photographs of the coins. If she sends those by email (even in small batches over some months - Is there a reason this has to be done in one gulp?) with my expertise I will be able to tell her a great deal about the coins and give her an idea about value. That way she can leave the coins her deceased dad left her in an insured bank safe deposit box and we can still pull the photographs up on the computer and discuss them when we are together and when she is back home in the UK.

And if bringing in any coins of a certain date, I would be sure to stress the importance of complying with documentation requirements of the pertinent MOUs.

If my step-daughter is thinking she would like to sell (or gift, darling girl!) the coins to me, then I would still recommend she photograph each of them so that if she ships the coins or tries to bring them in when she travels and they are lost or confiscated, (or even if the UK bank safe deposit box gets 'hit') she will have a record of what there was.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Voulgaroktonou

Thank you, all, for your wise suggestions. She has decided against bringing anything this time. Perhaps I will travel there myself some day in order to evaluate them for her.

Kentucky and LaCointessa like this.
  10. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Many of the major auction houses (Spinks, Southeby's, etc.) are in England and will gladly travel to her house and sort the coins by rarity on the chance that they will be able to sell the rarities on commission. If they find a significant rarity they might be willing to attribute all of the coins for her as a sweetener to get the sale. Since all will have to be "looked up" it's a simple matter to put each coin in a flip along with a note of what it is. That deprives you of the pleasure of being the first to see an older collection but gives her the best returns from her inheritance. I trust that the auction house will not want anything valued at less than 50 pounds.

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Best answer

12. Voulgaroktonou

Thank you for your very helpful suggestions. She has arrived back to her mother and me in the US sans coins. I may perhaps later travel to her house in the UK to evaluate them for her there.

LaCointessa likes this.
  13. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

No problem. Actually, I worried a bit whether I sounded like a know-it-all 'buttinski' so I'm glad if I didn't come off that way. And, I hope you will be pleasantly surprised when you finally get to see the coins.

14. Voulgaroktonou

Not at all. I appreciated your thought response.

Draft saved Draft deleted