Bring back the "Buffalo Nickel"?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Jan 22, 2021.

?

Choose one of the following selections to voice your opinion.

1. Shield

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Liberty V

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Buffalo

35 vote(s)
    47.3%
  4. Jefferson

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. New Design

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  6. Incorporate Eagle

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

At least the US Mint recognized the beauty of the "Buffalo" Nickel when they produced this:
    upload_2021-1-28_1-25-1.png
    Too bad they don't do the same with some of our earlier coin designs.

UncleScroge and BuffaloHunter like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

They don't want us to remember the Indians or what happened to them. That's why they're erasing them from everywhere. Not even the Indian on the land o lakes butter was safe Screenshot_20210128-062716_Chrome.jpg

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

and mint high and low relief then add a reeded edge, but which, coarse or fine? I know, both.

5. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. You're too kind sir.....martha

6. Martha Lynn

If this keeps up, we'll never find Waldo. The'll snatch him too.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Been looking for that rascal for 70 years and haven't seen hide nor hair of him. Maybe he is floating on a raft in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

8. Martha Lynn

Aint seen kilroy lately either. Now don't take me as a conspiracy theorist, but how far are they going with this ? I want my Mapo.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But, in my opinion, they didn't do a really good job with it. They moved the Indian to the right, his features are cruder. On the reverse they rearranged the inscriptions, added one, and in order to make room for the added inscription they shortened the buffalo's legs making it look like a cross between a buffalo and a corgi.

The bullion buffalos are a little more faithful rendition of Frasers' original design.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Then you might be interested in this set . . . . . just posted yesterday by Ron Landis on his site.

I don't think these will last long . . . . . . .

upload_2021-4-6_10-27-36.png

https://www.landisstudios.net/product-page/felix-schlag-jefferson-2-piece-set

Z

-jeffB and MIGuy like this.
  11. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

I couldn't resist and picked up a set myself.

Z

MIGuy likes this.
  13. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

ZoidMeister and MIGuy like this.
  14. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Pretty neat. I ordered a set too.

ZoidMeister and MIGuy like this.
  15. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Lol, we're going to buy out their stock! I'm glad I already ordered. I had $50 sitting in my Paypal anyway, so it only cost me $30 plus tax.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I say we return to the original pre-war design and relief of the Jefferson Nickels found from 1938-1942. Jefferson is awesome, Monticello is awesome, and full steps are awesome.

17. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

What about original Jefferson on the obverse and Monticello with a Buffalo grazzing grass right in front of it with a beautiful sky with clouds and the sun on the reverse.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And with todays high speed presses they will all come out looking like 1954 S's, mushy with poor strikes and details.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

And what will the Buffalo Nickels look like? Honestly, I think the Buffalo Nickel series had more strike issues than the Jefferson. If we are choosing the design based solely on which design will be the easiest to produce with today's production methods, then the Liberty "V" nickel should win hands down.

Bradley Trotter and Evan Saltis like this.
  20. ZoidMeister

My pleasure, glad I could share . . . . .

I just LOVE Ron's work. Might want to poke around a bit to see what else he can "empty your wallet" with.

I had been smitten with this design for quite a while, but had always resigned myself to appreciate them from afar. I never thought I could come close to remotely affording one of these, let alone a SET . . . . . . .

Z

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you tried to use the same relief as the originals I think they would look horrible as well. With todays high speed presses your only choice is very low relief designs. And I do agree the Liberty would work better than the Buffalo or Jefferson. The shield nickel design might work well though as it doesn't seem to have a lot of differences in relief between its high and shallow relief areas, so it would probably work well as a low relief design.

cplradar and Lehigh96 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted