Bring back the "Buffalo Nickel"?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Jan 22, 2021.

?

Choose one of the following selections to voice your opinion.

1. Shield

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Liberty V

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Buffalo

35 vote(s)
    47.3%
  4. Jefferson

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. New Design

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  6. Incorporate Eagle

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the Jefferson Nickel is blah, ho-hum and not aesthetically pleasing when compared to other nickel coins previously minted, so I wanted to get opinions on design.

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A Roman walked into a bar.. The bartender asked him "What would you like?".. The Roman held up 2 fingers and stated "5 Beers please"

Liberty V would be my pick ;)

4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

That would be cool. It might generate more interest in the original series as well and all my buffalo's will suddenly be worth more!

5. Robert Ransom

Good choice, but why this one?

Randy Abercrombie and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

They should've just kept Felix Schlag's obverse design at the conclusion of the Westward Journey Series. Regardless, I find the original Indian Head/Buffalo design to be the most aesthetically appealing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    UncleScroge likes this.
  7. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

“We can’t bust heads like we used to—but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don’t go anywhere like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So, I tied an onion to my belt which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel. And in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now, where were we? Oh, yeah! The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.” - Abe Simpson, noted numismatist

8. Robert Ransom

This reminds me of a story. I had to go to the lumber yard for a few 2 x 4's and attached a henweigh to my tool belt, then entered the building, made my purchase and went back to the job-site. The guys unloaded my truck and asked where the other thirty odd 2 x 4's were. I swear they said four 2 x4's. o_O

Martha Lynn and MIGuy like this.
  9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Political climate today prohibits or restricts most any design that is associated with any culture or race. You might get by with a coin that has a 5 on one side and a V on the other.

10. Robert Ransom

I remember when PC meant personal computer. A V could be offensive to Vulcans, so that rules that letter out. The 5 could be construed as a slight on the Borroughs of New York and we certainly wouldn't want to cause them any angst. So, now what? Any other ideas? :confused:

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

All nickels cost more to make than their denomination. We should use the buffalo nickel design on a $50 silver coin! :woot:

A usable coin that protects against Covid!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    NewStyleKing likes this.
  12. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

why? the common everyday person has no care what their coins look like as long as it can get them what they need they are happy

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

A new design for sure.

14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

If you had a pile of an equal number of Mercury and Roosevelt dimes and asked common, everyday people to go up an pick one, I suspect the Mercury dimes would disappear much faster than the Rosies.

Mkm5, Etcherman, Inspector43 and 3 others like this.
  15. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Same could be said about anything really...

Architecture, appliances, automobiles....manners....

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

don't count on it nowadays people are more worried about family and such then coins and paper money to them those are needed to buy whatever they and their family need to make it in the real world

17. Robert Ransom

Nobody fell for it. Rats!

Martha Lynn, Mkm5 and coinup like this.
  18. coinup

coinup Junior Member

I usually attach my henweigh with a hammerfor....

Robert Ransom likes this.
  19. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I came home from fishing with three catfish and a panfor.

20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Lol...ok, what's a "pan for"? ...for frying the fish?

Mkm5 and Inspector43 like this.
  21. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Man, it's funny how these theads get into the ditch, almost unavoidable I suppose!

Also, is the "Buffalo" nickel a bison?!

RogerC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted