BRILLIANT MINT STRATEGY SUGGESTION

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

With so much money allocated to "Pork-Barrel Projects", I offer the following thought.
    The Mints should begin producing high relief coins in "Business strike" as well as Proofs.
    Two things are accomplished, an aesthetically attractive coin flowing throughout the economy and job creation (larger minting facilities and increased employment). Ponder the implications of such a novel idea and comment on its effects.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Wouldn't they be difficult to stack and roll for counting purposes?
    The $20 Saint and I believe the 1921 Peace dollar had some issues
    so the mint reduced the relief on these two coins. Maybe make them
    for collectors and sell them that way. Not seeing much in the
    current coinage that would benefit/deserve such effort. Just saying.

Inspector43 and Robert Ransom like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Fun idea. I'm thinking that production cost would go up because of a shorter die life. Maybe just do it for the mint sets but that might tick off collectors using albums. You would need a spot for the business strike and the mint set coin. Same that happened with the satin finish, several years ago.
    Not sure about the problems with changing the current designs over to high relief.

Inspector43 and Robert Ransom like this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

IMO the last thing we need is the Mint producing more -- unnecessary stuff.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it is a bad idea as previously stated by @tibor & @ldhair . Additionally, I don't think a design change such as that which @Robert Ransom suggested would have any overall benefit for employment.

Mike Davis and Robert Ransom like this.
  7. Robert Ransom

More dies produced because they would wear out sooner, expansion of facilities, equipment and employees to account for the lower production rates, new albums to house the new coins, a probable increase in the number of collectors, new errors to be discovered, more books and articles written, more submissions to TPG's, a more responsible use of Gov't. funds, more items and discussion on CT, etc.

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Whereas it would waste more money from the standpoint of requiring more resources to manufacture the same product, I agree that would fit in the "pork barrel" category. Along with shorter die life, you'd have more quality issues in the form of bad strikes.

It would be nice if higher relief were used for proof versions of the circulating designs.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  9. Robert Ransom

But this is my point. edited
    Lost my train of thought. Spend the money where it will have some benefit.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2020
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If my post will be over edited, I will simply delete it entirely.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Stupid is as stupid does

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

In the words of that dearly loved Army Colonel from M*A*S*H......

HORSEHOCKEY!

Mike Davis and Robert Ransom like this.
  13. DukeBedford

DukeBedford New Member

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2020
    harrync likes this.
  14. Robert Ransom

Must you be so vociferous? ;)

15. cpm9ball

What would you prefer that I do?

Robert Ransom likes this.
  16. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

The unappreciated satin coins were discontinued by the Mint because of finish problems (?) but the enhanced finish coins seem to be more durable. More enhanced finish coins could spike interest. Also, more reverse proof coins might help sales. While I'm on a roll (?) zincolns should be discontinued and copper cents minted just for collectors. Get rid of the zincolns and their lousy composition. That way Lincoln cents would still be minted, but the cost factor would be negated. Even nickels and dimes could be minted the same way, since the pandemic has shown that businesses could round up for a cause, not just for their own benefit. Rounding down would be even better for the consumer, but that ain't happening soon.

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Thanks for giving them the idea on how to spend more of my tax dollars. No thank you.

Mike Davis likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

To feed the fat pockets even more NO THANKS. Remember Karl Marx...

19. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I think the mint should carry on with the current designs. The world is coming to the position that change will not be used much. Don't waste resources on ballast that has no real use.

tibor likes this.
  20. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I've thought for years the 'silver proof set' should also contain alternate composition cents, nickels, and dollars. Cent obviously should be the original 95% copper. Maybe the nickel could be the wartime 35% silver, or just go ahead and mint it in .999 fine silver. The magnesium dollar is more of a challenge. I'd rather not see the color change drastically, so some kind of silver alloy that maintains the current color?

2x2 $averKrazy and Cheech9712 like this.
  21. Robert Ransom

How about using an emoji to signify the intent of your comment, ie. joke, smile, wink, frown, mad, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted