Breast Cancer Awareness Commem Gold

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Sep 21, 2018.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I needed it for the collection........ devil.gif

DSC_6269.JPG DSC_6270.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

Didn't phtog the 'proof' 'cause I didn't buy it. As it was, they (mint) were holding a gun to my head by selling me less gold for 'MO Money'.........

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I thought it was pink gold or something?

green18 likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well I had thought this one was supposed to have a pink hue to it. That’s not a bad looking coin there.

6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

They have it available in .999 silver, normal gold, and rose gold.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

The $5 coins are only available in pink gold.

8. green18

Rose Gold.........more copper, less gold. Same high price, but who's complaining? devil.gif

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I saw my first one of these "live" last weekend. It is less "pink" than an ordinary Kruggerand.

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm kinda surprised at how the entire country sorta went "Meh" at these. I would have thought that a cause like breast cancer would have gotten more attention and marketing. The coin itself is completely boring, of course, but this is more of a worthy cause than the vast majority of commems from the last few decades.

Anyways... the obverse of your coin.... do you see those weird parallel semi-circular lines covering nearly the entire obverse of the coin? Are those on the coin itself, or is that some side effect of photograph compression? Am I just seeing things? That looks really, really weird on my monitor.... I hope I'm not the only one seeing it.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

I see what you're seeing too. If I didn't know better, I would guess it's a dot screen, but there isn't one, is there? The other thing weirding me out is some letters on legends seem pink highlighted, and others not.

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I support the cause. Though I'm not a huge fan of the "marketing". Pink everything. Most of that $$ goes to stuff that is not research to finding a cure.

Coin-wise...It isn't the worst design I've seen come from the US Mint lately. It isn't the best either.

13. green18

Probably my bloody lighting set up.....one size fits all.......

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Have you scaled it up or down in resolution? That can induce scaling effects. It's one reason why I don't like posting pictures on here. In order to get small enough pictures, I have to scale them down.

15. physics-fan3.14

Honestly, it doesn't really look like scaling or lighting effects. None of the other pictures he's posted recently show this artifact. And the way that the lines play with the lighting lead me to believe that it is on the coin.

Green, can you take out a loupe and look at the coin, and tell us if these lines are on the coin? Or maybe take a new image with different lighting/compression? I've got a couple of ideas of what it may be, if it is on the coin, but it would be highly unusual for it to be as widespread as that.

16. green18

Could it just be the laser etching that the mint now employs?

17. green18

I always add a bit of resolution in the post processing.

18. green18

On the morrow, old friend. It's late, and I'm weary.........

19. physics-fan3.14

That was one idea, and probably the most plausible.

The other ideas were planchet striations or roller marks, but those would be parallel and I haven't seen those on coins in a hundred years.

The other idea was "lathe marks" from a reduction lathe. I'm not sure if they still use those? I honestly am not sure - do they still make large plaster molds and reduce them in size to make the hub, or does the computer etch the hub directly? If someone knows, I'm actually really interested to know how the master is made these days.

20. green18

I think they're completely barren of the old ways, Jason. I think everything is computer generated these days. Mercanti would have a fit.........

21. physics-fan3.14

Haha, imagine what John Reich and Charles Morgan would say!

YoloBagels and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted