Breaking news at PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by okbustchaser, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Possibly. I'm fairly certain selling company shares are how they get their big pay day given the size of the company. That and I would guess he knew the dividend was going to be cut in the near future which caused some of the hedge fund money to leave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Even more over the previous 50% cut???

4. V. Kurt Bellman

I read the CoinWeek piece from the link and watched the video and frankly all I see is yet another reflexive inflation phobic who doesn’t understand that an increasing money supply is NOT NECESSARILY inflationary. It’s only one of two terms in a ratio, the other being GDP. If GDP can be made to rise enough, you can print money until the bearings on the presses melt, and you STILL won’t see appreciable inflation.

Every hyperinflation story ever seen in history is a story of insufficient PRODUCTION, and NOT too much money printing. Zimbabwe, Venezuela, Brazil, Weimar Germany, all of them. Insufficient goods, not too much currency. Learn it, live it, love it. It’s the ratio that matters - supply AND demand.

This is what causes inflation: “Here’s lots of money, but there’s nothing to spend it on.”

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Paul M. likes this.
  5. baseball21

The previous cut earlier in the year was the one I was referring too. His last stock sale looks like it was November 2017. I believe the dividend is sustainable now without bleeding cash after the cut earlier this year

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

No, if I would get into the grading game, I’d have to go full honesty, full transparency. It’d be:
    KBCGSBIJMOICBW.

“Kurt Bellman’s Coin Grading Service, But It’s Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.”

The logo would be a hoisted Digitus Me’dius.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Hey, do you think PCGS’s recent downturn could have something to do with NGC beating them to the punch in the world market? Just a random thought, no particular data.

Mkman123 and C-B-D like this.
  8. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

You need to work something about a "Full Bellman Line" into your slogan.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. baseball21

I wouldn't say beating them to the punch.

I think it's two main things that have hurt them this year but it's just my guess. The first is they got tight late last year and a lot of people (even ones they generally know what to expect) started getting annoyed and some started to sit on submissions trying to wait it out till it normalized more.

But the bigger issue was the price hike in my opinion where raising the economy tier prices was a mistake. They had been taking away world market share from NGC but then they did that and their economy level prices became non competitive for world coins for the 1955-1964 years. Even the other years the price difference got bigger than some people could justify since the economy level threshold wasn't raised. If they had raised the threshold to $500 dollars I think most people would have been okay or happy with it, but to raise it and leave it the same I would be surprised if that didn't cost them business.

For both things to happen at the same time I can't see how that didn't chase some submissions elsewhere. If they really took a hard look at their pricing and tweeked it I think they could increase submissions pretty easily, but I don't know if they will or not. At the very least they need to find a way to get the price of the world economy down or raise the threshold for it.

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

AFAIK, Mr. Hall is STILL on the Board of Directors.

11. baseball21

Wouldn't that take a shareholder vote to remove him from that?

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay, but NGC had a bump up in costs too fairly recently. I’m still working down my freebies for this membership year. I just bought my first coin in a black insert NGC, and I’m still not sure if I like it or not. The coin, I like. Not as sure about the black insert. I have it on my desk at home trying to get used to it.

13. baseball21

Did they for their normal fees or just their extras? I don’t remember seeing a normal fee increase but might have missed it on some tiers

14. V. Kurt Bellman

The lowest cost ones took a bump. Coupla bucks.

15. baseball21

I guess they did bump some of the worlds. Forgot what those used to be. Even so there’s still a 10 dollar difference for 1955-1964 world coins which is hard to swallow at that value level

16. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

So far I have never sent in a coin to the TPG companies. This month has been full of news about them. PCGS fired their COO for starters. A 70 point grading system has always seemed ignorant to me. It appears that numismatist RON GUTH agrees with me on that. He has just announced his one hundred point grading system and has established a service to re-grade and re-slab all of the improperly graded coins issued by NGC; PCGS; ANACS and the lower tier TPG companies. So that means that all of the collectors who have been raped over the years will either get raped again by GUTH or they will see the values of their "precious" fall precipitously. If I had been one who jumped on the band wagon to get all my coins graded and have just eaten several thousand dollars in losses I would feel devastated. You folks have my sympathies. If you are patient some clever person will issue a conversion chart showing what the old scale would be on the new scale. You will still take a hit on the value but at least you will know the new grade if you have the will power to resist sending your coins in again.

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

zz
    any new grading company has to prove that they are more consistent and accurate than existing ones. If their grading consistency isn't any better then a basement grader than it doesn't matter what they think or don't think. Plus they have to get ppl to send their stuff in that believe a 100 point system is more effective than the current 70 point system.

What benefit does it offer over 70?
    other than a "100%" is more traditional thinking.

18. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I use a binary grading system.

0: Don't Want
    1: Want

I can grade a coin using that system and be correct every time.

mrbreeze, NSP, Numismat and 7 others like this.
  19. baseball21

He didn’t start a grading service he proposed a new system which has been proposed before and gone no where and published a conversion chart. Rick Snow proposed a new one too and it went no where. There’s literally 100s of millions if not over a billion dollars worth of coins in the current companies slabs under the current system. The likelyhood of the system being turned on its head like that by a new service is slim to none.

calcol and Jaelus like this.
  20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Gosh, did you need to post it 3 times?

Oh, I was wondering -- do you know if he is still on the Board of Directors? :rolleyes:

21. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

What board of directors?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.