Brand on Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by King_George_Va, Aug 14, 2018.

1. King_George_Va

King_George_Va Active Member

I recently acquired an early very worn large cent. However, it has what appears to be a brand on it. The reason I think it is a brand is I read a letter from Colorado stating how many ranches that have and there was a picture of a brand that resembled what was on the coin. The marking is kind of like an upsidedown question mark.
    I heard that the value will increase if the marking can be identified. The coin is in my truck and it is raining so I can't post a picture right now. Any suggestions on how to research this?

BRandM likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Post a photo when you get a chance.

4. King_George_Va

It is a classic head large cent. DSC02578.JPG

5. King_George_Va

6. King_George_Va

The reverse.

Attached Files:

7. King_George_Va

A little better picture.

Attached Files:

8. King_George_Va

Last one.

Attached Files:

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not sure if this is worth anything, but if it is, someone on here will know.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

11. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

It's a counterstamp like Pickin and Grinin says, King George.

I don't know what it means, if anything. The stamp is much newer than the coin, but still appears to be old. It could be a brand, but I'm thinking it probably isn't. A brand suggests a western origin, possibly territorial, and the few legitimate western issues I've seen...including California Gold Rush pieces...are always struck on silver or gold coins. Silver and gold were king out there, plus these old Large Cents just didn't circulate out west. Having said all that, I know nothing about brands, so who knows. If it were, it would increase the coin's value though.

Thanks for posting it.

Bruce

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They couldn't figure out what the date was so they put 8?

13. King_George_Va

Dagnabbit!! It appears that CoinTalk ate my post.
    Here we go again.

Thanks for all the ideas.
    The 8 appears to me, esp. under the eyeglass, to be 2 circles over 2 circles. Like they were trying to have a 3-D effect. One encircles the R in LIBERTY, the other just the lady's hair. It could be that they were trying to make a pair of glasses. The other symbol may be a hook or a sickle. In branding lingo when a symbol is laying down it gets the adjective "Lazy". So is it "Lazy Sickle", "Lazy Hook" or "Lazy Hook Look", LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted