Braille and a redesign for it....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cwart, May 27, 2023.

1. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I had a thought a few minutes ago while adding a few foreign coins into my database. I was adding a coin from Peru and for some reason its variety of "No Braille" stood out to me. If US coins had Braille added it would hopefully kill two birds with one stone. First the addition of Braille might help make the coins easier to use for the visually impaired, no small consideration there. Second, if we added the Braille we'd have to do a redesign of the coins for it. Seems like a good way to do some good and maybe look at the designs on the coins at the same time.

expat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's an interesting idea, but I think our circulating coins are already easy to distinguish by touch.

I believe some countries make their paper currency different sizes to help the blind distinguish them.

4. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Very true, and I do agree that the reeded edge/nonreeded edge and sizes make it easier. I was thinking that it might give a jump start to a redesign though. Kind of along the lines of since we're doing one, why not do the other too.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Coins are more a novelty than a necessity these days. I don't think they need any new features.

6. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I do believe I recently read that our (U.S.) notes will be redesigned with tactile features to make it easier for people with lower visual acuity to recognize them. If I remember correctly it will be phased in a denomination or two at a time. Canadian polymer notes have these features already I noticed when my sister returned with some cash from vacation.

-jeffB and SensibleSal66 like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I agree about braille being on currency. What happens when they wear though?
    Canada? Nice Vacation!:)

8. Joshua Lemons

That I'm not sure. I assume the festures will last as long as the life expectancy of a bill. But, it was just a short little article, maybe on the coin world website.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  9. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

I don't know Braille and not sure how much info would need to be included (just 1, 5, 10, etc.?) but instead of raised features on the bill, couldn't they use some sort edge notching? I'm kind of surprised that we (the US) haven't gone to different colored bills to help for the visually impaired. Seems like that should be pretty easy to implement.

-jeffB likes this.
  10. Joshua Lemons

That would be great, but for people with no vision a tactile feature would be needed. I remember in the last revamp of currency, people in my area said it looked like monopoly money. They didn't care it made the bills securerer. Now it comes as a surprise to me when I see older bills.
    I don't know how many circulating denominations other countries have but I'm sure the law would require all of ours to have the tactile features. That would require 6 coin modifications, cent to dollar.

11. jb10000lakes

Oh, I agree. Just thinking the color could be implemented easily, without years of 'testing' and 'coming to consensus' type issues that tactile bills have. For coins, outside of vending machines and laundromats, is there a reason for the coins to be round? Could leave quarters round and implement 3, 4, 5, and 6 sided coins

12. -jeffB

Outside of vending machines and laundromats, there's hardly any reason for coins to exist at this point.

The last thing I want on my coins is corners.

13. Joshua Lemons

True. It could be a reason to finally ditch the penny and
    I know I rarely use coins anymore. I collect them in a little jar and when they build up dump them into the self checkout at my local DG. We can't even tried of the penny, so I doubt we'll ever have cornered coins...lol

14. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

from wiki...

Euro coins were designed in cooperation with organisations representing blind people, and as a result incorporate many features allowing them to be distinguished by touch alone. In addition, their visual appearance is designed to make them easy to tell apart for persons who cannot read the inscriptions on the coins.

The coins increase in size and weight with value. Of the eight denominations of euro coins, the three lowest denominations are small, resemble copper in colour and are quite thin and light. The next three denominations resemble gold in colour and are thicker as well as heavier. The highest two denominations are bimetallic, being generally larger and thicker than the lower denominations.

In general, the greater the value, the heavier and larger the coin. Copper colour identifies low value; gold colour identifies medium value; two different metals identify high value.

There are also differences within each group. The 2 cent coin has a grooved edge to distinguish it from the 1 and 5 cent coins and also from the US penny, which has the same colour and diameter. Similarly, the 20 cent coin edge is smooth with seven indents to distinguish it from the 10 and 50 cent coins.

While currencies predating the euro were specifically designed in similar ways (different sizes, colours, and ridges) to aid the visually impaired, the euro was the first to have authorities consult organizations representing the blind and visually impaired before the release of the currency.

Not sure what the discussion about colour (paragraph 3) is doing in this section of the wiki, but the other paragraphs discuss tactile distinguishing features: size, edges, notches/indents, weight.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    -jeffB likes this.
  15. -jeffB

Given that they actually considered the needs of the blind during the design process, I'm a lot more reluctant to second-guess their decisions. They've certainly done more homework on the issue than I have.

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Having actual braille dots on the surface of the coin would be pointless because of circulation wear/tear to nearly all of the devices on all coins. I guess the edge features are significantly more durable.

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  17. jb10000lakes

[​IMG]
    This is what I meant by three sided.
    [​IMG]
    and four sided, for examples. No 'corners' per se. Easily identifiable by touch, and if they don't need to be used in vending machines, the physical shape really doesn't matter.

18. -jeffB

Yeah, those rounded corners were what I was envisioning when I said what I said.

There's just an awful lot of "what a coin is/does" that's tied up with "at least approximately flat and round". Putting it into a slot, dispensing it from a machine, putting it into a roll -- can you even call it a "roll" of coins if it won't roll? :rolleyes:

19. Tom Babinszki

Tom Babinszki Member

Joining late into the conversation, but wanted to make a few points.
    Most countries coins are very easy to tell by touch, they maybe more confusing visually. What we use in the US, is very easy to distinguish.
    The braille cannot be felt on the coins of Peru, it is more of a social and cultural awareness than anything else, you will find the same in Costa Rica, Brazil, etc. Actually there are over 100 coins with braille, and less then ten percent has dots big enough to feel.
    For example, look at the Alabama Quarter, you can't tell by touch that there is any braille on it. But the Belgian commemorative 2 Euros (2009) has tactile braille.

Currency is a different story, I believe it should be easily distinguishable both by touch and sight.

At the moment, over 40 countries use tactile marks, some are better than others, usually the "secret" is that polymer notes are not only more tactile, but last much longer. Just recently I came across a totally wrinkled old used Canadian 5, and I could still find the dots. But look at the Brazilian Real, it is not Polymer, once it has a little ware and folding the marks are so hard to find that the money is easier to recognize using a phone app.

Just recently I started publishing the list of tactile marks on currencies, unfortunately the task is harder than it looks, because little information is published, and just because there is written evidence of tactile marks, in practice it maybe different. For example, there was a big deal about making the Kenyan shilling tactile recently. I bought a few, all UNC, and I still can't feel a thing on them.
    Anyway, here is the link if you are interested:
    https://blindcoincollector.com/2023/12/28/tactile-marks-on-currencies/

As far the US is concerned, there is talks about making the currency tactile since the 1970s, good work takes time. But ultimately the decision was that a device that can tell blind people the value of the note is sufficient, so there is a device that talks and vibrates to include deaf blind people as well. This device is available free of charge to any US citizens or residents with a proof of blindness, otherwise you can buy it I think for about $200. I think standing in line and checking your money at the store is much easier by hand than using a device holding up the line.

Tom

-jeffB, Joshua Lemons and CoinCorgi like this.
  20. Joshua Lemons

I didn't know about this! Very interesting.

I actually really enjoy when old threads like this are resurrected and new information is posted!

Tom Babinszki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted