bragging rights

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rick, Feb 15, 2005.

1. rick

rick Coin Collector

I purchased these coins last month, but I also got a new scanner, and I just figured out how it works - so I wanted to post up my own images.

The files are a little larger, but I wanted to share them.

:D

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

WOW....nice coins....even though I don't collect World coins I have to say they are nice!!!--liked #2 the best

Speedy

4. rick

rick Coin Collector

thanks!

one more.

Attached Files:

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Rick,that is a very nice Peruvian Piece of 1.The Spanish 1 Escudo is a good spacefiller.Boy,the Piece of 2 from Mexico is very black.What happened
    to it?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just what I need - more competition :rolleyes: I knew I never shoulda got you started on those :D :D

Just razzin ya pal - you done good !! ;)

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

GD
    You can have my share :D

Speedy

8. rick

rick Coin Collector

one man's spacefiller is another man's favorite (favourite for our friends in the UK). That escudo is, in my opinion, one of the best pieces in my collection. It's got a little bit of wear to it, I will grant - but I think it's still a upward fine grade.

The 2 Reales might look a little dark in the picture, but I think that is my doing - trying to mess with the resolution and contrast to get the best image I could come up with. It's also a little dark, too, but it's in my top ten.

9. rick

rick Coin Collector

today's purchases.... my spain and spanish colonial collection grows.

I usually don't purchase a whole lot of copper pieces, but I made an exception when I saw this one.

Attached Files:

10. GDJMSP

Nice pieces Rick !! I especially like the half escudo ;)

Wait 'til you see what I got in Vegas :D

11. rick

rick Coin Collector

Thanks! I can't wait to see what you picked up at the vegas show.

speaking of the show - how was it? Lot of tables?

You know, I ran into a guy this weekend, who told me that he had heard there were going to be some 600 tables at the ANA show coming up this spring... I think this number has to be quite overblown. I can't imaging the size of a show with that many tables, so he must have heard wrong.

12. Art

Art Numismatist?

Nice coins and nice scanner work. Keep it up.

13. Bluesmanmoney

Bluesmanmoney New Member

I have an early Spanish 1626 4 Merevedis coin on my site that is counter marked PHS maybe you'll could tell me something about the coin. As I know nothing about early Spanish coins.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

14. Bluesmanmoney

Bluesmanmoney New Member

Rick I took the liberty of inhancing the 4 Merevadis coin with my program so we could all get a look. I Hope you don't mind. Nice coin!

Bluesmanmoney

Attached Files:

15. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Nice coins rick

16. rick

rick Coin Collector

Thanks Bluesman, you lightened it up nicely. I actually made the image darker, because on my home computer the image looked much pailer than the original - but on my work computer it does look much more dark and difficult to see.

I don't know too much about countermarks, I'm sorry. I think the 4 maravedis was heavily countermarked during Phillip IV because of counterfeit problems. Which may be another reference to GD's thead on the subject of counterfeiting. (that's just a guess). I bet he knows vastly more than I do on the subject.

17. Bluesmanmoney

Bluesmanmoney New Member

Your Welcome, maybe some of the others can help me find out about the counter stamp. The PHS could have something to do with Philip IV. Thanks again Rick

18. GDJMSP

I'm workin on it - just haven't found it yet ;)

19. Bluesmanmoney

Bluesmanmoney New Member

Thanks GDJMSP. I thought it could be possible that it had something to do with the early Catholic church in spain as it was such an influence there at that time in history.
    Bluesmanmoney

20. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Bluesmanmoney,the Catholic Church is still very powerful in Spain,but it has lost a lot of ground there.

21. rick

rick Coin Collector

I picked up this one - tried to post it a couple days ago on my lunch break, but I kept getting an error message.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted