Boy Scout Coin/Token

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 49ers, Dec 29, 2014.

1. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Hi, I purchased a token/medal lot and this cool scoutafront.JPG Boy Scout token was in the lot. I have Boy Scout Good Luck Excelsior Shoe Co. tokens but I never seen one like this. I have done research but not having much luck. Any history information and what's it worth if anything would be appreciated.

The bottom of the token with the scout reads:
    The Whitehead & Hoag Co. Newark. N.J.

Attached Files:

LionelR likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Cool looking medal. Do you have a reverse image?

4. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

It reads Boy Scout and The Whitehead & Hoag Co. Newark. N.J. on the bottom. scoutbck.JPG

5. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

I can't help but I wanted to say that that's really interesting! I look forward to what the experts find. Thanks for sharing!
    -L

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Whitehead & Hoag Co. are well known for making this type of thing. I'm not sure when or how long they were in business.

7. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Member

Whitehead & Hoag Co. made coins between 1892-1959. So this coin was minted between this years.

8. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Thank you. This coin or token/medal is a real mystery and I found it on this website. www.VirtualScoutMuseum.com
    I like this token and enjoy sharing with the group. Maybe I got lucky with a token that is more rare and could have some worth to it.
    I found the token on this site www.VirtualScoutMuseum.com

Steve

9. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Under miscellaneous.

10. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

What you have is a medallion honoring Boy Scouts. It was issued in 1913. All were made of bronze, had a reeded edge, and were 32mm in diameter. It has a scarcity rating of R6, and my 1995 reference valued it at $15 in avg. circ., $20 in F/VF, and $25 in XF. BTW, there are 60 listed varieties of the Excelsior Shoe Co. tokens.

11. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Thank you very much. Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted