Boxed Ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

These collections make great gifts...

...and they helped kick-off my interest in collecting ancients. I have two sets like this. (I had three but I gave one away to a retiring clergyman last winter.) Most of them are Judaean and you have all seen my Judaean collection many times in it's various stages. Judaeans continue to be my main collecting focus but I wanted to highlight the Seleucids which are included in these sets because it was these coins that sparked my secondary interest in coins of the Seleucid Empire. I've been expanding my collection considerably to include coins from the reign of all of the Seleucid rulers from 280 BC through 82 BC. I'm planning to post these in the coming days.

HLSELEUCIDS.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice set and tremendous display, congrats !

Q

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I like these wooden showcases, and buy them whenever I get the chance.

P1150067.JPG P1160870.JPG P1160873.JPG

5. Deacon Ray

Thanks for posting @Andres2 ! Those are beautiful. They certainly make nice presentations. They also look great in a display case. I have several smaller sets such as the Judaean/Roman War, a set of Indo-Scythian coins representing the gifts of the Wise Men, and a set representing the first Judaean coins. I think that some of the coins in the sets have been overcleaned (not all of them). Nonetheless these sets are what turned me into an enthusiastic collector.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Nathan401 likes this.
  6. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I really do love the way that presents. That display would be at home in any museum. Truly a very nice way to present your coins.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  8. Deacon Ray

Most of the coins in the Judaean collection have plenty of detail but a few of them, in my opinion, are a bit overcleaned.

Johnnie Black likes this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

The contence of these boxes is indeed not of great quality. I buy them for the box, and usually get rid of the coins inside, and replace them with others.
    I was outbid in the last MPO auction overhere, the 14 coins inside were rubbish LRB in low quality, I was the underbidder with 45 euro, ex juice and shipping :(

Here are 2 more smaller ones, I added 4 extra coins in the biblical set, and replaced the original coins in the other with RR denarii.

P1210918.JPG

P1210922.JPG P1210920.JPG P1210916.JPG

11. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

12. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Very nice displays!

13. Deacon Ray

Buying them for the boxes must be expensive, @Andres2 . I've considered finding who is making these and purchasing them empty. If I'm successful I'll pass on the information.

14. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I got the impression that he buys the cases and makes the sets from coins that he owns. If you can get the cases you too could make an infinite variety of sets of whatever quality you choose. I've often wondered how to make precision holes in foam mats. Eventually I'll go on wikihow and find out.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

In the past I've found empty wood cases for sale or free at coin shops.
    They remove the coins and have no use for the cases. Even if they don't
    have any now they may be willing to save them for you.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great displays @Deacon Ray and @Andres2 !
    DR - let us know what you find on the boxes.
    I have a few wooden boxes that once held US, or other, proof coins. The boxes cost a few $ and make good holders when I show coins at coin club meetings. The pic below shows coins that arrived today.
    20180620_102735.jpg

17. Deacon Ray

Great idea, @harley bissell ! Great place to start looking also. Another good place to start would be with our forum friend @Ken Dorney . Perhaps he could point us in the right direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted