Box of BU Pennies-What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by dlts, May 9, 2020.

1. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Personally I would keep two rolls in TUBES. Handle with cotton gloves since they will pick up your oils and start a rapid road to discoloration/carbon spots. Your choice but you never know what they will be worth a few years from now. Disregard those that say dump them. They are yours YOU decide what to do with them. IMO

dlts likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Well the whole point of the thread was asking what others would do with them. Soo...

Stevearino, dlts and Kentucky like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Do exactly what you intended to do, search them. You may find some nice coins, maybe even true mint errors.

dlts likes this.
  5. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

Well, in 2018, I got the same thing from the bank. After going through the whole box, I got about a total of 4 rolls of pennies like this... WIN_20191215_14_25_08_Pro (2).jpg

Treashunt, MeowtheKitty and bditto39 like this.
  6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

My best luck for finding a fair example is in a Mint Set. I cut open one every year and place them in my Dansco Albums...many of them would grade a 67-68, and an occasional 69!

dlts likes this.
  7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I'd just keep the rolls sealed and store the. 2020 will probably be a lower mintage. You're onlybin them 50 cents/roll.

dlts likes this.
  8. STU

STU Active Member

me I am a collector I myself would keep them and give some to the ones who collect them I am not greedy so I never sell my coins for profit

dlts likes this.
  9. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

Search a few rolls. If nothing comes of 3 or 4 random rolls from it, you probably aren't missing anything unless there just happens to be a one-of error somewhere in the box. I got lucky with a box of 2018's and found 3 different die clashes in the box, and every roll had at least one of them in it. I found it on my second roll so I kept searching. I figure there are probably only so many runs from only so many dies in each box (I don't actually know, but guessing), so if you happen to find something good in one roll, there could be more of the same varieties in others. If you find that one big and valuable variety in your box, you will probably have several examples of it.

MeowtheKitty and dlts like this.
  10. dlts

dlts Well-Known Member

Examples like yours is what keeps me looking through the ones I have :).

PassthePuck likes this.
  11. dlts

dlts Well-Known Member

So far I've found a half roll of pristine coins (out of 10 rolls-so far), and am looking at them using a 25x lens. I suppose they are the few that slipped through the process unscathed. I'll have a conclusion for you when I'm finished.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. dlts

dlts Well-Known Member

I certainly am using cotton gloves, and I will save some (in tubes) and see what the future holds. Thanks allot for the advice.

13. dlts

dlts Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Chris. I'm always learning something new.

14. dlts

dlts Well-Known Member

I had no idea. Thanks for the video. I really appreciate it.

Marie909 and john65999 like this.
  15. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

the same happened to me a few weeks ago, i opened 2 of the 10 rolls, found maybe 5 in ms-68 30 or so in ms-67, and the rest were ms-66 and lower, packaged up some for later sales at the local flea market, and the rest i am going to put into plastic coin tubes and put away for 10 years or so....they can only go up, hey even the mint is selling their "bagged" coins at a premium and their rolls as well, so count it as a lucky break, on line current 18, 19 and 20 roll prices are 5.50 free shipping on ebay at the moment, they can only go up..

dlts likes this.
  16. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

nea
    NEATO!

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Stevearino and MeowtheKitty like this.
  18. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Oooh, math.

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can claim they are MS67 and MS68, but unless you have submitted them for grading, it ain't true! ~ Chris

20. dlts

dlts Well-Known Member

The novelty of the pennies soon wore off as my eyes were rebelling after the second row down in the box! I made it to the end, but I didn't get as lucky as PassthePuck did. What I found was a reoccurring small die crack on some of the coins, of which I kept some, and cherry picked 3 tubes of the rest. I can say with almost certainty that I will not willingly accept another box of bright new shiny pennies! Still, it was fun.

21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I now have 4 boxes of brand new 2019P cents that I've gotten in my last 2 weeks' orders. Still no 2020s. Those boxes will just sit and wait until my dump bank opens.

dlts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted