Bought this from Heritage Auctions, as an "unsold" lot

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 12, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

AV Dukat 1787-ST Munchen Mint 22mm./3.49g.
    German States/Bayern
    Karl Theodor Elector of Bayern/Julich-Cleve-Berg/Pfalz
    Slabbed as MS-63

John 2701392l.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Do they negotiate much?

I see something I like, but not at their price---which is basically the opening bid PLUS the equivalent of a buyer's premium. It's not something I normally collect, but even with my limited experience (and comments from someone who would know) the one I'm eyeballing seems a little 'optimistically' priced.

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I do not think they would go lower then the opening/starting bid. I always look into prices (a) catalogue value (b) check comparable coins in recent auctions (c) the quality/look of coin. For this coin, it was half catalogue price/recent sales on Kunker auctions had 2 examples selling for 1800euros in EF/UNC quality. MS-63 would be better quality. So, Kunker coin would be 1800+20 % comm. fee.

Stork likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It all depends. Sometimes the lot didn't sell just because the opening bid was set too high. Sometimes, that opening bid was a reserve set by the seller, and they cannot go lower. Other times, they have some room to negotiate. I've definitely seen unsold lots that later sold for lower than the opening bid.

Stork likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted